BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Longer springs needed

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2018 08:28 #188744 by X88RED
Longer springs needed was created by X88RED
Hello all!

Hoping you can all help me out/ point me in the right direction:

I have 4" Rough Country shocks fitted, shock re locators front and rear (front ones add 1.5" and rear ones add 2" to the shock length I believe) and also 2" body lift. I do not want to change this set up.

My issue is that at full flex my springs dislocate and come loose. I have fitted clamps front and rear but obviously the springs are not long enough for my set up and come loose at the top still!

When measuring the length of the springs on the car (when the car is just sitting normally) they measure about 280mm. Not sure if these were rough country springs..

Does anyone know where I can buy longer springs from? and what length would you suggest?

Thank you!

Redmond

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2018 10:09 - 23 Jan 2018 10:13 #188749 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Longer springs needed
www.coilsprings.co.uk/ will make up what you want. They supply a lot of the "generic" springs you see in the various lift kit offerings for the Jimny so already have the specs on record

If nothing else their website is worth reading for the humour on the pages :)

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 23 Jan 2018 10:13 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X88RED

More
23 Jan 2018 10:37 #188750 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Longer springs needed
Hi Redmond ;)

As I said in my reply to your email, mine were sourced from another vehicle, after some internet research, and bought them off eBay, they are wound thicker (15mm rather than the diesel 14mm springs) and are suitable for the renowned weight of my Jimny ;)

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=to...8&id=53695&start=948

I was worried they'd be too thick and unforgiving, but I'm happy with them for the height and weight of my Jimny -

I haven't said (publically) what they are off, as I believe they might be too stiff for lighter Jimnys, so I don't want to recommend them for others to find they don't suit there own Jimnys... But they do suit my application...
The following user(s) said Thank You: X88RED

More
23 Jan 2018 13:50 #188760 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Longer springs needed
What springs do you have on it at the moment Redmond?

With +4" shocks and all of those shock extenders I'm not surprised your springs are dislocating.

If you already have lifting springs you might just want to get shorter shocks or do away with the shock extenders. I understand the issues with rear shock bottom bolts snapping and premature bush wear but castor correction resolved that for me.

If you have over a 2" lift, do you have castor correction?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2018 14:17 #188762 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Longer springs needed

S200KYS wrote: Hi Redmond ;)

As I said in my reply to your email, mine were sourced from another vehicle, after some internet research, and bought them off eBay, they are wound thicker (15mm rather than the diesel 14mm springs) and are suitable for the renowned weight of my Jimny ;)

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=to...8&id=53695&start=948

I was worried they'd be too thick and unforgiving, but I'm happy with them for the height and weight of my Jimny -

I haven't said (publically) what they are off, as I believe they might be too stiff for lighter Jimnys, so I don't want to recommend them for others to find they don't suit there own Jimnys... But they do suit my application...

I don't see why you shouldn't tell what these springs are off. It's not a matter of recommending them for jimnys in general. But sure would be nice if those with heavily modified jimnys knew there were other options than just springs from jimnybits. Then people can decide for themselves what spring to choose.

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2018 14:18 - 23 Jan 2018 14:19 #188763 by X88RED
Replied by X88RED on topic Longer springs needed
Thanks for the input guys! Will research things a bit more..

Kirkynut - I believe the springs are the ones that came with the 4" rough country kit originally although don't quote me for that as they were fitted by the previous owner. I have castor corrected radius arms fitted already which are for 4" lift, I know it is the shock extenders causing the issue but if I can make it work I would like to do so. Especially if it as easy as buying some longer springs that are better suited!

I am swaying towards buying the same springs as Dave tbh - he has 4" suspension lift, shock re locators like me. Only thing is my Jimny will be slightly lighter and I have 2" body lift so it is a bit of a gamble! But then again the ones Dave uses are thicker than most springs on offer so should provide decent support I have also contacted coilsprings.co.uk but waiting on them to get back to me and they will work out a fair bit more.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2018 14:19 by X88RED.

More
23 Jan 2018 14:21 #188764 by kirkynut
I personally would just buy some more Rough Country shocks that are suitable for 2" lift and you'll have the right length combo then. The front shock extenders could just come off so you only need new rear shocks.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2018 14:45 #188765 by TomDK

X88RED wrote: Thanks for the input guys! Will research things a bit more..

Kirkynut - I believe the springs are the ones that came with the 4" rough country kit originally although don't quote me for that as they were fitted by the previous owner. I have castor corrected radius arms fitted already which are for 4" lift, I know it is the shock extenders causing the issue but if I can make it work I would like to do so. Especially if it as easy as buying some longer springs that are better suited!

I am swaying towards buying the same springs as Dave tbh - he has 4" suspension lift, shock re locators like me. Only thing is my Jimny will be slightly lighter and I have 2" body lift so it is a bit of a gamble! But then again the ones Dave uses are thicker than most springs on offer so should provide decent support I have also contacted coilsprings.co.uk but waiting on them to get back to me and they will work out a fair bit more.

I have to ask.
Why do you insist on using these shock relocators?

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2018 15:22 #188767 by X88RED
Replied by X88RED on topic Longer springs needed
From what I understand better performance off road and less stress on bushes.. also reduces breakage of the axle mount by reducing the forces applied to it - especially on lifted Jimny's like mine. A few people I know run them and get along well with them so thought I would do the same I guess!

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2018 15:47 - 23 Jan 2018 15:56 #188769 by TomDK
It's all just rubbish from those making money selling them.

The stress reduced on the mounts by these relocators is nothing compared with the forces on them from the certical movements of the shocks.

How would it affect offroad performance?
Best case a waste of money. Worst case shock damage due to bottoming out.

Don't believe everything you hear. I know some Jimny owners like to add all sorts of guards, brackets and relocators and what not to their Jimny. But in reality. Most of it is just excessive weight and a waste of money.

If you really want to spend a few bucks making something better. Then it is to make entirely new lower shock mounts on the axles. Especially the front axle.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2018 15:56 by TomDK.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
23 Jan 2018 18:44 #188780 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Longer springs needed
For comparison i took this pic when changing to the current Zanfi springs (courtesy of TomDK).

The orange one is the trailmaster +2" petrol spring, Green is Zanfi +3" diesel spring (both are fronts).

Mine has a total of +6.5" now, which is made up of the Zanfi springs, 1.5" spring spacers and 2" body. This combination works really well for me, apart from i still have the +2" trailmaster shocks (with Tom's favourite shock brackets/spacer things). Ideally I will remove the shock spacer things when i find some shocks i like and will fit (currently thinking Koni on front and AVO on rear, all adjustable).

Just PM Dave and find out what they are. You can always add some weight to calm it down :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

More
23 Jan 2018 19:51 #188782 by kirkynut
Just as an addition, I have a 3" lift with castor correction arms and standard shock mounts front and back. I don't get off road these days but I used to all the time with the current set up and nothing broke.

So if you can ditch the shock extenders as Tom suggests, you'll not really be any different to me as your castor arms are for your lift.

Dave's photo shows you don't need them to have flex and I could dig out photos of mine flexing too.

So there's your cheapest and easiest fix.

If you're worried about your rear lower shock bolts shearing, drill through the axle mount on the bottom where the bolt screws in and get a longer bolt and a nyloc nut for it. Martin used to sell them in the Big Jimny shop. You'll need a very good drill bit and some patience mind!

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds