BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Offside front body mount coroded

More
14 Nov 2017 06:14 #186215 by helijohn

petejones69 wrote: Thanks. I know what you mean - it took me ages the other day to wash all the mud out of the void. No idea why they didn't fit the liners back in. I was thinking of making my own.

I'm afraid I am one of those that leaves liners off when I have taken them off unless I can see a good reason to keep them on. They are a pain. I have the same opinion about mud flaps especially rear ones where they attach to the rockers. What I found on my Pinin reinforced this - also the Pinin and my Junior have a liner over the fuel inlet pipe too and when I removed them the gunge behind had to be seen to be believed and it is no wonder the Pinin fuel inlet is such a weak spot for corrosion - but then the whole car was. lol

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• petejones69
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2017 09:41 #186221 by petejones69
Replied by petejones69 on topic Offside front body mount coroded
'Tis a bit close to the mounting bracket.

More
14 Nov 2017 10:02 - 14 Nov 2017 10:05 #186222 by weecorey
I didn't realize that was the the case, 30cm is a big area, how come the tester just gave an advisory and stated it wasn't in the prescribed area?

Personally I don't see how welding a piece on will have any effect on the strength of the mount, the mount in question only supports an inner wing. If the mount is free from rot I'd be arguing lol
Last edit: 14 Nov 2017 10:05 by weecorey.

More
14 Nov 2017 11:00 #186225 by helijohn

weecorey wrote: piece on will have any effect on the strength of the mount, the mount in question only supports an inner wing. If the mount is free from rot I'd be arguing lol

It's that 'one size fits all' syndrome by the sound of it.

It is where common sense needs to prevail and, as my last experience (well last but one really) of MoT testers was a bit sickening, I really do wonder about some of them. I had one tester who was so fat he could not get in to the driver's seat - literally - and he broke my centre armrest in the process of trying.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
14 Nov 2017 17:42 #186253 by jackonlyjack
I have a pair of front arch liners on my garden just gathering snails ;)

• petejones69
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2017 18:01 #186254 by petejones69
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm sorted now with the arch liners.

As an aside, the part that has the hole - is that part of the wing or a separate bracket or what? Could I just replace it? Seems more straightforward that botching it.

More
14 Nov 2017 18:08 #186255 by jackonlyjack
The part with hole is part of the front panel very expensive to replace

More
14 Nov 2017 18:30 - 14 Nov 2017 18:34 #186256 by weecorey
That part is £217 +p&p, well it was that price last year anyway. It's a job to replace as it's spot welded to the inner wings.

I'm definitely going to look into making up replacements of these mount surroundings. If the mount it's self is 100% then fitting a new surround would be handy enough. I'm thinking 2 half that fit perfectly over the original and would be easily tacked on. As I've said its my opinion that this part does nothing but hold water and rust but if it's a common problem so it would be good to have a straight forward fix.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2017 18:34 by weecorey.

• petejones69
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2017 18:40 #186257 by petejones69
Thanks both, sounds like a plan to have an easy replacement/fix - I'd buy a pair.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2017 19:16 #186258 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Offside front body mount coroded
Take the headlight out and check there as it rots bad there too and also check the other side while you are on as they are both prone to rot. Also extends in the engine bay behind the steering box and in the same position on the nearside. It is the front tubs crossmember.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds