BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

trail gear electronic t case reduction kit ?

More
19 Sep 2017 08:26 - 19 Sep 2017 09:01 #184248 by yakuza
I think for your tire size this option would be fine. The electric Tcase has a wider chain drive than the older ones. As the newer Tcase has not had any reports i know of on malfunctions, i would think that for your tire size and M13 engine with careful driving and servicing you should be fine.

I find the job and switch from electric t-case to rocklobster not so tempting unless you are going for bigger than 31" tires as riccy says. the gearing will be way off in high range unless you change diffs and/or gearbox as well. by changing the gearbox you will not have to make your own driveshaft, and you will get a weak link R72 out of the car though..

it is also possible to change the low range wheels only inside the jimny electric T-case and although pricey they are way more tempting for those of us with M16 engine that use the car mainly on highway and with 235-75-15 tires only.
See also post below where i gathered some info on the low range only electric t-case options:
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=topic&catid=7&id=62051

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2017 09:01 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fransolis94

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2017 09:10 #184251 by yakuza
I am still very annoyed by the 17% and whatever 87% figures. i want the real deal ratios!
Trail gear doesn't even know, i asked them..
I have no understanding what this percentage means to me at all. Is it the change in the ratio of the box itself or the crawl ratio?

I do not even want to know, just tell me the ratio! :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2017 14:12 #184256 by TomDK
What ratio is it you want to know?

The real ratio of the 87% reduction gearset is 4.16:1 in low range and around 1.5:1 in high range.

More
19 Sep 2017 17:35 #184261 by yakuza

TomDK wrote: What ratio is it you want to know?

The real ratio of the 87% reduction gearset is 4.16:1 in low range and around 1.5:1 in high range.

ok, thanks!
For me going from 1.0 to 1.5 in high gear ratio sounds like 50%.. Would make the car unusable onroad..

So no point in this kit for me..

More
20 Sep 2017 07:39 - 20 Sep 2017 09:06 #184268 by yakuza

TomDK wrote: What ratio is it you want to know?

Sure this is correct? push button transfers got 1.0/2.0 in high/low range.
please show me the maths for the percentage calculations, i still do not understand :)

the 70% gears have a 3.7:1 ratio.

Last edit: 20 Sep 2017 09:06 by yakuza. Reason: edit added 70% info

More
14 Feb 2018 04:35 #189328 by zukebob
I'm not sure if folks on the forum are still looking for information on these. Even if the original posters are no longer looking for answers, I thought that this thread might likely come up during a search.

A little before this original post, I had also been looking for this information. First I asked lowrange offroad and then I went directly to Trail-Gear. My results had been the same as the others (no reply). I have noticed now that Trail-Gear has clarified their ad showing that the reductions were based on the transfer box in a manual Jimny (1:1 H and 2.002:1 L). They list the reduced ratios as 1.17:1 and 3.74:1.

Mostly now, I'm waiting to see what www.protrack.gr comes up with. According to an email from Michael Theologitis at Protrack, they are currently working on gear sets with several reduction options.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, yakuza

More
14 Feb 2018 11:09 #189333 by yakuza
Good info, thanks for sharing!

Did you get any info on how long before products are for sale?

I have been saving up to buy low gears so I was almost ready to buy these now.
I was at first thinking about buying the low gear option only.
Having 235's and m16a I like my current rpm in high range on highway.
The low gear only gear set was out of stock for a long time, and now that product is no longer available.

So i am back to this set now. I guess i can use the low gears only and keep the high range for later swap if i cut my arches and buy bigger wheels in the future.

More
15 Feb 2018 01:51 - 15 Feb 2018 07:16 #189345 by zukebob
Yakuza:
This is most of the text in the email I received:

We are manufacturer.
And we are the first to design and test reduction gears for low and High and for all jimny models.
In last months, these products have been copied from another manufacturer and after that the result is many sales of wrong components for car and we having many questions like yours.
In any case, we can supply the right gears for all models.

And something just for your information.
The electronic Tcase for the automatic (1.32 H) uses a weak chain as the old (with lever) Tcase.
This period we have for testing some new sets of gears with a new stronger chain, and some more options in ratios for High and for Low.

I know that Protrack offered 17% high, 87% low reduction gears in the past but they are no longer on their site. I'm thinking they are probably going to go with gear sets that use the heavier transfer chain from the diesel Jimny now. Just my speculation.

You probably already know but if you are looking for reduction in low range only, those sets already exist. APIO make them. The Zeal brand also used to be available from www.4x4prostaff.com although I have no idea how to negotiate their site.

Last edit: 15 Feb 2018 07:16 by mlines. Reason: Removed name of company who threatened forum with legal action

More
15 Feb 2018 11:31 #189346 by yakuza
On the japanese prostaff pages i gave up to find the correct wheels. English auto translation and thousands of Yen..
Way too pricey when there is alternatives readily available elsewhere.
www.auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49478
Link above to a guy doing the low gears on his push button transfer.
Also some info on how he ordered the wheels from japan through a company that probably speaks japanese.
Drifting guys in Europe use different similar companies to order car parts from japan as well. But price for this probably makes it best to order from greece, protrack or jimnybits.

this page: global.rakuten.com/en/ is also possible to use, some kind of japanese ebay i think, but i have no experience there what so ever.

More
28 Mar 2018 01:48 #190946 by zukebob
A quick update on Protrack. This is a follow-on email from Michael:

We working to build a new web site and the old is not supported any more.
The only infos that i know till now is the new prices.
For all versions for VVT with the factory chain, the new price is 650 euro.
For the new ratios included a new chain the estimation is +240 euro.
The prices above is without taxes.

Sor the shipping cost, please tell me your country.

Regards,
Michael Theologitis

I believe this means that the original gear sets on his homepage are available for 650 Euro and the newer ones are still in development.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2018 05:32 #190949 by OlaGB
Pretty expensive then, even compared to trail gear sets..
I also considered waiting for this, but ended up ordering the 87% TG kit instead. Should be plenty low enough for my kind of offroading, and if i get bothered with too low high gears, i bet theres alot of pre vvt owners willing to swap diff's.

My calculations gives me around 150rpm higher at 90km/h on 235/75-15 and the TG kit, compared to stock gear on stock wheels. I'm fine with that, as the car sucks above 100km/h, and is underpowered no matter what M16 motor i swap in there i guess..

More
28 Mar 2018 06:27 #190950 by zukebob
Yeah....not sure what the 650 Euro translates to in dog years but I know it's more than Trail Gear

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds