BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Reverse Lights Permanently On

More
07 Sep 2017 17:39 #183934 by furo
Hi folks,

I was off-roading at the weekend and since then my reverse lights are on all the time (apart from when I reverse haha). Does anyone know what the problem might be and how it could be fixed?

Many thanks!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Sep 2017 18:15 #183935 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Reverse Lights Permanently On
Theres wires on the side of the gearbox which tell the light to come on by shorting to negative. i would guess you have snapped a wire on that sensor maybe?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
07 Sep 2017 19:42 #183936 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Reverse Lights Permanently On
Thank you!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

More
08 Sep 2017 13:43 #183943 by furo
Hi @Riccy, I had a good look and unfortunately couldn't find any wires coming off the gearbox. Where specifically should it be?

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Sep 2017 16:55 #183948 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Reverse Lights Permanently On
Right on top of the box at the front. Double jointed neck and small hands a must!!

More
10 Sep 2017 21:53 #183988 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Reverse Lights Permanently On
It will most likely be the reverse switch on top of the gearbox. Laying on top of the engine, reach around behind the cylinder head and you will find a large nut (24mm?) with 2 wires coming out of it.

More
11 Sep 2017 19:22 #184026 by furo
Thank you very much for your help. I think I have located it, what do I do now? Just pull it out?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Sep 2017 16:58 #184054 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Reverse Lights Permanently On
You just need to check the wires are connected still. it will need a large spanner to remove the sensor completely.

Use a multimeter to test the sensor before trying to swap it - continuity should be between the two terminals when its in reverse, not there if not in reverse gear. If thats ok, then its a wire fault somewhere along its length, or a bad earth/negative connection.

Jimnys use negative (-) switching for most electrical stuff so its basically making a connection to negative on the two wires (i.e. one of the wires will be connected to a earthing point somewhere nearby and the other will go the negative terminal of the lamp). the reverse lamp will have a permanent fused live (+) to the bulb and the negative (-) is switched by that sensor on the gearbox.

If your lights are permanently on then theres probably a damaged wire shorting to earth/negative somewhere so i would be checking the wires for damage or fraying somewhere as most likely candidate (if the sensor is ok).

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
12 Sep 2017 17:51 #184063 by furo
That's great, thank you very much.

More
13 Sep 2017 06:31 #184073 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Reverse Lights Permanently On
Unplug the switch. If the lights go off the problem is the switch.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds