BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Clutched !!!

More
26 Apr 2009 08:29 #624 by ooky_123
Clutched !!! was created by ooky_123
Went out last night for a few hours to play on the plain, as has become the norm on our family since we had the new Jimny. With the snorkel fitted she swam across a number of previous un-crossable water features with ease, the rear wheels actually paddling the car rather than holding on for traction!!...

We crossed the most sevear of axel articulating rutts and then it was onto the mud.

Now, the clutch had taken punishment after we had recovered a friends Disco a few weeks ago, and needed to cool down before the car could be driven again, but the adhesion of the thick mud, and the clutch being inpoor condition, meant, even with the monster tyres, we were stuck solid.
No amount fo digging and building the tracks up with sticks could free the little JImny, and eventually the clutch refused to allow any gears to be engaged.

We were recovered by a friend and towed the little jimny complete with mud covering all wheel arches and tyres back home. :(

So a new tougher clutch is needed. Does anyone have any recommendations ? We were thinking a KAP competition clutch...

The funny thing is, if we could have kept the wheels turning, the jimny would have pulled itself out:S

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2009 15:48 #628 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Clutched !!!
It may not be the clutch. I changed my clutch after similar problems, rescued a heavy truck and then plunged mine into mud. THe clutch would not let me change gear and appeared to stick in gear.

When I took it apart the clutch was not too bad and could have gone on a bit longer. After much messing around I found it was teh clutch cable, glued up with mud. It still worked but gave the symptoms of a poor clutch. I changed it and now hove a beautiful clutch action. I have now found from looking around the Internet that this is a known problem with Jimnys and that the later clutch cable has a better lining to help stop this happening.

If you go for a competition clutch be aware that they are more severe. They are pretty much off/on with not so much in between. This may not be so go for on road driving.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
26 Apr 2009 17:49 #629 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Clutched !!!
ok, will check, this definatly burnt though, and the drive got progressivly less and less. After cleaning the mud off the Jeep ( 3 hours with the Jet wash outside the house!!) I can just about get drive in 4low but whenever I accelerate above tickover, the revs climb madly with no drive.
TO be honest, the symptoms I have probably suggest the clutch itself is gone as most of the rescues I have performed have usually resulted in the Jimny turning all 4 wheels and digging itself down at the end of a tensioned rope, followed by the smell of burning friction lining.

Yesterdays antics actually produced large amounts of Blue smoke bellowing out from the underside of the car B).
See what you mean though about competition clutches being binary in their operation. Is it possible to fit a Heavy Duty clutch ?

More
26 Apr 2009 19:01 #636 by Rich-lj
Replied by Rich-lj on topic Re:Clutched !!!
I think my clutch is on its way out too, but was shocked by the price of new ones! can anyone recomend a reasonably priced one and somewhere to get it?

More
26 Apr 2009 19:08 #637 by mlines
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI bought mine from ebay seller for about £70.

It was cheap and is cheap! I do not expect it to withstand the rigours of heavy off-roading, but it served the purpose (ie. it was cheap!)

Martin

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
26 Apr 2009 19:44 #638 by Baz2236
Replied by Baz2236 on topic Re:Clutched !!!
I had a paddle clutch in my old SJ and it was great and pain to drive around town as you have next to no slip of the clutch but off roading its great when its time to change the clutch on my jimny it what i will got for agian. It takes some getting used to and expect to stall it a few times when you first fit it.

Baz

More
28 Apr 2009 07:05 #639 by ooky_123
Well, Jason spoke to AP Racing yesterday, and they discussed what is the best to go for. They offered a 15% uprated one, and a 25% uprated one for silly money.
After a lengthy discussion with Darren @ KAP, We decided on a 5 paddle Competition Clutch. Ok, no slippage for daily driving, so we will need to modify our driving style, but, according to Darren, were not going to have any problem offroad :)

Car is booked into the garage for friday too, so we will have the Jeep back for a shake down on the weekend :woohoo: B)

More
02 May 2009 08:10 #648 by ooky_123
Well, New clutch fitted @ Newbury 4x4. what a nice bunch of chaps. :)
the old one was completely burnt out and stripped of all thr friction lining as you would expect :)
KAP clutch is great. Nice biting point, and a little burn as the clutch beds in but the take up is superb. Probably can still slip the clutch should I need too but it feels really positive now ( much better than the standard one that was fitted 3 months ago when we bought the Jimny from a dealer !!) .. Yes, 3 months !!!

- Jason

More
02 May 2009 16:53 #649 by mlines
I must find out from you how much Newbury 4x4 charge for the install.

I smoked my new clutch climbing onto the trailer this evening, that will teach me to buy a cheap one :(

Martin

Martin

More
02 May 2009 17:24 #650 by mlines
oh - and were there any identifying marks in the new clutch or the box it came in, just in case I can get them elsewhere?

Thanks

Martin

Martin

More
02 May 2009 17:57 #651 by ooky_123
Email sent Martin.
No marks or numbers on the box. The basket looked the same as the OEM one but the clutch plate itself was a 4 ( sorry, I mistakenly said 5 previously )paddle one. both came wrapped in brown grease paper and in a plain box.
As soon as we have 5 minutes to take the jeep offroad, Ill give it some real abuse and see how it handles it. I suspect its going to be Uber cool !

- Jason

More
02 May 2009 18:10 #652 by Baz2236
Replied by Baz2236 on topic Re:Clutched !!!
you will love it off road and wonder how you lived without it. I got a few more bits to do to mine then I will be fitting one.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds