BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

spung a leak

More
12 Jul 2017 10:35 #182672 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic spung a leak
Not my favorite thing either John.....I'll be making a couple of pipes this weekend.....just wander down to the local garage and borrow their kit.....fair exchange and all that :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mattt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2017 12:09 #182849 by mattt
Replied by mattt on topic spung a leak
Leak stop did sod all ! Topped it up twice well below minimum after a little drive and siting for a few days . I really can't figure out the source of the leak it just macially appears. Guess it will have to go up on the " professionals" ramp .

More
19 Jul 2017 12:14 #182850 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic spung a leak

mattt wrote: Leak stop did sod all ! Topped it up twice well below minimum after a little drive and siting for a few days . I really can't figure out the source of the leak it just macially appears. Guess it will have to go up on the " professionals" ramp .

Bad news that, sorry to hear it.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• rexthecat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2017 21:26 #182863 by rexthecat
Replied by rexthecat on topic spung a leak
You could try some of that UV leak detector stuff, worked for me checking for leaks when I had to replace the high pressure line. Thing is with power steering fluid is it's so thin it seems to manage to really spread when it's hot. Kits are cheap on ebay.

• mattt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2017 14:23 #183081 by mattt
found out the it is the low pressure pipe thats leaking . a new one £230 ! but the garage said the steering box is "rotten " as well ! anywhere i can try and source a second hand low pressure pipe ?

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2017 15:48 #183084 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic spung a leak
A local hydraulic hose place should be able to knock something suitable up whilst you wait for about 1/10 of the price of a new genuine one.

• rexthecat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Aug 2017 16:15 #183119 by rexthecat
Replied by rexthecat on topic spung a leak
Reckon you can just get the whole lot from a braker....loads cheaper, have you tried James on here? J999pre.

• mattt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2017 09:23 #183137 by mattt
got it back from the garage . good news is that other than a hole in the boot ( usual spot ) its looking pretty damn solid underneath .
found someone pretty local with 2 jims breaking so I'm going down there with my socket set, wd40 and a big hammer soon !
feel a bit happier spending a little time and money on her now i know she's not a rot box lol.
they did say and i can here the clutch bearing when you push the clutch in . should i be worried ?

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2017 18:02 #183147 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:RE: spung a leak

mattt wrote: they did say and i can here the clutch bearing when you push the clutch in . should i be worried ?

Not particularly. When the release bearing final gives up, the clutch is easy to change (4hrs or less) and a kit is cheap.

• mattt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2017 11:59 #183175 by mattt
Replied by mattt on topic Re:RE: spung a leak
really ? just read an article saying jimmy clutch change not for the faint hearted !
won't be doing it myself ( wish i had access to a lift or pit ) hopefully last a while yet

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2017 16:10 #183183 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:RE: Re:RE: spung a leak

mattt wrote: really ? just read an article saying jimmy clutch change not for the faint hearted !
won't be doing it myself ( wish i had access to a lift or pit ) hopefully last a while yet

It could be said no clutch change is for the faint of heart......... but the jimny is not difficult, clutches don't come much easier. I did mine on my drive with the car on ramps

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
05 Aug 2017 00:52 #183197 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:spung a leak

OllieNZ wrote:

mattt wrote: really ? just read an article saying jimmy clutch change not for the faint hearted !

It could be said no clutch change is for the faint of heart......... but the jimny is not difficult, clutches don't come much easier. I did mine on my drive with the car on ramps

Yep, clutch change is an easy job if you've got a rough idea of what it is, how it works and where the bolts are.

It's cable operated and inline so about as easy as it comes :-)

The whole gearbox doesn't weigh all that much, it's possible to swap the entire thing on your drive with ramps and some basic tools (I did!).

Martins guide is really helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds