BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

13500lbs winch - max size battery to fit tray?

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 Apr 2017 18:07 #180488 by Riccy
Hi All,

Im fitting in a 13500bs winchmax winch on the jimnbits tray. Im going to put the solenoid box up out of the way and make a bracket for it. The question is what battery should i use?

Its mainly as a backup and rescue option for other vehicles, so wont be under enough stress to justify a second battery setup (yet). The handbook for the winch says a minimum of 650 CCA for the battery, so is there one that size, or preferably higher that will fit the jim with a standard 1.3 altenator?

Thanks,

Riccy

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
23 Apr 2017 17:08 #180508 by Riccy
Nice sunny day so ive been at it with the spanners (and grinder) again...

Decided to put the number plate on the lower steel bumper. I now need to make a new lower bumper, but might think about making a new one that fits better and has space for the plate.

The hook on the winch is too big to fit into the jimnybits towing eyes so ive clamped it onto the original tow point underneath for now. I bought some D shackles, but they are either too small or way to big. Be handy for the tree strap or snatch block i suppose. Ive decided to put the cover on it when its parked up to keep prying eyes off it ;-)

Its wired up and working (with isolator switch). The battery thats in it says 400a, but i cant see a CCA figure on it.

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Attachments:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2017 18:14 #180510 by TomDK
Then it a 400 CCA battery. It's not like it's a 400 Ah capacity battery.

About size of battery for your winch. It's just a matter of finding the best battery for the budget. I like Varta AGM batteries :) Should be possible to find one that fits.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2017 18:50 #180512 by 1066Boy
You could always use one of the sticker type number plates and put it on the bonnet just above the front vents. :)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2017 19:15 #180514 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic 13500lbs winch - max size battery to fit tray?
lovely job Riccy B) B) B) B)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Apr 2017 05:36 #180517 by Riccy

TomDK wrote: Then it a 400 CCA battery. It's not like it's a 400 Ah capacity battery.

About size of battery for your winch. It's just a matter of finding the best battery for the budget. I like Varta AGM batteries :) Should be possible to find one that fits.

Ah, i see - you would think i would know, being an electrician!

Will measure up and have a search for varta AGM then :-)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Apr 2017 05:37 #180518 by Riccy

1066Boy wrote: You could always use one of the sticker type number plates and put it on the bonnet just above the front vents. :)

Ive seen a few like that, but im not keen on it myself. i do realise space is at a premium, and it will get trashed where its at now. Its one of the pressed metal types, so hoping it will bend back if hit!

More
24 Apr 2017 09:31 #180520 by jackonlyjack

More
24 Apr 2017 11:21 #180521 by Keithy

jackonlyjack wrote: Stick on type is not mot legal ;)
But i have one on :whistle:

My stick on is legal font correctly spaced and certified reflective background.....and in a position as near to vertical as possible.....not part of the mot....but regulated elsewhere.

No postcode of the maker is it's only "crime"

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2017 16:43 - 25 Apr 2017 16:44 #180561 by rappey
I have a 13000 lb winch.. stock battery (45amp) will get destroyed if you try winching under load with it as not enough cca for winch.
The winch takes 80 amps with no load, about the same as the starter motor?
I fitted a 100 a/h battery, cca of 750, connected a 75a cable from starter battery to 100a/h battery with isolator switch.
Works brilliantly.
Alternator is 75 amps, so in a perfect world could fully recharge both batterys in 2 hrs from flat, but i know it does not happen like that.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Apr 2017 16:44 by rappey.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2017 16:53 #180563 by TomDK
That's just wrong. Plain and simple.

The standard battery in a Jimny is fine for occasional winching. And with a 13000 lbs winch you'd have to be seriously bogged down before the winch starts drawing high amps.

So no, nothing gets destroyed.
Used the standard battery with a Goodwinch TDS 9.5c many times before I upgraded with a better battery.

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2017 17:46 #180569 by rappey
Tom dk, do you actually have any idea about the power we are talking here? We are not talking 80 to100amps for a few seconds to start an engine, but 5kw for a 13500 winch, or around 416 amps under load for a lot longer than starting an engine..
With a stock battery the plates will heat up and buckle dramatically until total failure. There is a reason that these winches state a minimum CCA of at least 650 amps. Stock 40 amp is around 320 cca.

What your saying is like powering a 3kw electric kettle from lighting cable , yes it will work, until it melts !

I operated my winch with no load, engine running and only stock battery and you could hear the massive hit the car was taking, and thats with the boost from the alternator helping.

There you have it Riccy, two "opinions" Google it and do some research and you will be able to make your own conclusion !

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds