BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Damd Dw, feel like setting it on fire grrrr.

• Justin83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2017 11:02 #179836 by Justin83
Damd jimny, had enough. I have replaced all four track Rods, both kingpins on both sides. Reverted back to stock wheels now and it still shakes violently.
On top of that I have opened up the passenger joint again as the new swivel/halfshaft oil seal was/is leaking to make sure it's seated correctly and I gave it a push in with a 1"socket.... still leaking... still got death wobble.
Finished off yesterday driving off with the locking wheel nut key on and lost that.... twat.

So currently I have another oil seal ordered and another hour of greasy mess to probably discover it's still leaking all over the tyre.
Then still need to stop the wobble. Everything seems tight, panhard and wheel bearings ect...
Obviously I'm considering movement in the passenger halfshaft breaking the oil seal, we haven't run in 4wd and very very rarely it gets some light in 2wd greenlaneing.
Obviously I'm sceptical about taking it to any mechanic as I probably know more about it than Them after the hours of research online.
Where to go next replace wheel bearings even tho they seem good? Cars a 2006 and done 60k...
Change all the bushes one by one, could shock bushes cause it... I've tightened the panhard rod, it seems very solid...
I'm at a loss, I tried adding shims to the kingpins too, it has new discs and pads 4k ago I greased the sliders when I done them, cleaned all the wheel and hub faces, wheels balanced and swapped and wheel nuts tightened gradually in the correct pattern...
Gotta phone suzuki for a locking wheel nut key tomorrow, vent over, help needed, peed off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2017 12:17 #179839 by jackonlyjack
You could look at the bolt holes
To see if they are oval/elongated
On radius arm mounts also panhard mounts

Jack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Justin83

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2017 12:21 #179840 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Damd Dw, feel like setting it on fire grrrr.
Wow you are having a bad run of luck. I cant advise on the problems as you seem of covered all the bases.
I just cant understand why some have death wobble and some don't. :(
Mine has 2" lift without caster correction, remould mud tyres and the original 3 spoke alloys, all which can cause problems yet it drives like a dream at any speed. :) Hope you get it sorted.

• Justin83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2017 14:02 #179842 by Justin83
Replied by Justin83 on topic Damd Dw, feel like setting it on fire grrrr.
Yep, our old 03 plate was fine...
Just a matter of gradually replacing everything and as above checking for elongated holes I guess...
Just hope I don't spend too much getting it sorted.

More
02 Apr 2017 14:37 #179843 by Halford
You need the wobble kit from Martin
Kinpin Shims with leading arm/axle bush

• Justin83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2017 17:11 #179846 by Justin83
Leading arm axel? Is that the two on the trailing/radius arm... axel end obviously?

• Justin83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2017 17:29 #179847 by Justin83
Is Martin his screen name on here, I've just found a PDF showing an uprated rear bush on yes the radius arm to correct caster...
Suzuki's own bulletin?

More
  • Justin83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2017 17:37 #179850 by Justin83
Attachments:

• Justin83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2017 17:48 - 02 Apr 2017 17:50 #179851 by Justin83
Not sure if suzuki finally worked it out in 2009 when this bulletin was released and are calling the newer (post 2009) rear radius arm bush 'modified'?
Wording has me a little confused but they are basically saying That adding that said bush will hopefully eliminate the opposite resonating oscillation that we call death wobble?

Guessing that's why newer ones rarely get dw?
Last edit: 02 Apr 2017 17:50 by Justin83.

More
02 Apr 2017 19:33 - 02 Apr 2017 19:40 #179855 by Rhinoman
My 2006 had the 'new' bushes, from what I can make out they changed the bushes and then changed them back after getting more problems.
The part number is moulded into the bush.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2017 19:40 by Rhinoman. Reason: add info

• DINGLE287
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2017 23:03 #179860 by DINGLE287
Replied by DINGLE287 on topic Re:Damd Dw, feel like setting it on fire grrrr.
Mine has had a tolerable (barely) DW from day 1.
But after a few hours of abuse at a pay and play today it developed a wicked wobble (bucking bronco style) between 35 and 54 mph. Apart from everything getting battered and scraped and caked in mud the only visible damage sustained was the panhard rod getting slightly bent. So it's looks like I've finally gotta pull my finger out and spend some time and money on the beast. Has anyone had a go at making their own or strengthening their own panhard arm's?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds