BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My jimny... gearing question

More
13 Mar 2017 22:33 #179183 by benmoto501
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and Jimnys although not new to suzuki 4x4s, also been a member on Difflock for quite a few years!
I've bought myself a Jimny which has been lifted and has 235/75/15 tyres. I'm pretty happy with it and it's general condition.
The one thing I'm not happy with though is the gearing. High range there is no power and low range just isn't slow enough.
I think I know my options, I'm a past customer of Redacted s and had a rock lobster t-box in one of my SJs. Although that's at the top of my wish list I'm just trying to weigh up my options with prices.
From what I've read my options are...
Full blown rock lobster with fitting kit and 2 sj props.
Standard 410 t-box also with fitting kit and the required props.
Later VVT manual diffs.

What I'm after is % of reduction for each option.
Rough costs and availability of parts.

I know SJ parts are getting thin on the ground and therefore expensive, you wouldn't believe what I just got quoted when I asked for two diffs from a jimny breakers! (£450!!)

Are there any other options other than smaller tyres?

Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
14 Mar 2017 20:07 #179227 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic My jimny... gearing question
its fairly simple...

[gearbox final drive ratio in desired gear] x [transfer box in high or low] x [diff ratio] = final drive

so it sounds like you probably have a 2001-2005 jim with a m13 (non VVT) engine, R7ME gearbox, stick/manual t-box and original diffs.

this currently works like this (in high-box, 5th gear): 1.5x1.32x3.909=7.74

so to work out the result from changing any of the parts to other components you just substitute the appropriate number.

For example; changing the transfer box to a rocklobster or mini rocklobster box would work like this: 1.5x1.5x3.909=8.79

This is a 6.8% reduction in gearing in high-box, 5th gear (change numbers to suit other gears).

Then apply some maths to the tyre size to work out the increase in overall diameter as a percentage, and see what you get (235 tyres are 6% bigger than factory size).

Low and behold... you need a rocklobster in there.

Think i must have done this write up for about 3 different posts lately so perhaps i should contribute a writeup to the wiki?!

p.s. Ive got a rocklobster (1.5 high, 4.3 low) box, cradle and props for sale. done 10 miles since built ;-)

Riccy

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
14 Mar 2017 20:11 #179228 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic My jimny... gearing question
pps... i also have a set of 5 alloys with BFG AT's on in 215/75r15!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
14 Mar 2017 20:17 #179229 by benmoto501
I have sent you a pm Riccy

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds