BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Throttle Position Sensor

• Grego
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2017 17:22 #176184 by Grego
Throttle Position Sensor was created by Grego
Hi, got the engine light on, code P0120 along with the revs staying momentarily high when changing gear and engine cutting when dipping the clutch so I guess I need a new TPS.
Jim is an 04 M13a , looked on the net and the TPS seems to vary from less than a tenner to over £200, I'm guessing all the TPS is is a variable resistor/potentiometer (?) so the genuine Suzuki one seems a little steep.
Question is, anybody tried the cheapo ones or know of the best place to get one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2017 20:57 #176194 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Throttle Position Sensor

Grego wrote: I'm guessing all the TPS is is a variable resistor/potentiometer (?) so the genuine Suzuki one seems a little steep.

It is but if you look at the specs for most potentiometers you will find that they have quite a limited life, a TPS has to have a much greater durability. A pattern part from a reputable source should be OK.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
04 Jan 2017 00:30 #176225 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Throttle Position Sensor

Grego wrote: Question is, anybody tried the cheapo ones or know of the best place to get one?

I got one for my Pinin off eBay and it was fine. It was the rest of the car that was XXXXed.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Reloaded
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2017 08:12 #176227 by Reloaded
Replied by Reloaded on topic Throttle Position Sensor
I bought a cheapo one from China for about a tenner IIRC- it lasted about six months until it went tits up (same symptoms as yours).
Fortunately, the reason I originally bought it for turned out to be something different - so I just popped the old one back in and all is well.

• Grego
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2017 22:53 #176245 by Grego
Replied by Grego on topic Throttle Position Sensor
Good info thanks, guess i'll try a cheapo first and see what happens. Only do around 2k a year in it at weekends so reliability's not too important.

More
08 Mar 2023 15:16 #247977 by UKCarl
Replied by UKCarl on topic Throttle Position Sensor
Resurecting an old thread.

Just replaced the TPS (with a cheap one) and it only reads from 7%-75% opening and closing the throttle.

Is there any way it can be reset or is it just I bought a cheap one....If so, any reocmendations for one that works.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds