BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

jimny eating rear props

More
21 Aug 2016 09:11 #171513 by mc_nebula
A few months ago, my jimny ate a rear prop. I purchased another from here, and it's eaten that already. On the last, it just ate the metal making up the uj, and the cast housing for the uj, on the shaft itself. On this one, there is a chunk of the cast section missing, leading to initially a little play, and now excessive wear

I am running a 3" lift with correction all round. I am running a prop spacer, 25mm, I think. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? Or any other potential cause?

Also to consider is that the prop was second hand from j999pre so maybe wasn't great to begin?

Anyone got a prop they want to sell me?
A.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2016 09:30 #171516 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic jimny eating rear props
I take it you've still got the original transfer box, and hence the original prop with a CV on the end rather than a UJ?...

I don't think they were ever designed to work at the angle a 3" lift puts on the prop...

JimnyBits have just released a HD version? -

www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/drivetrai...shaft/prod_1536.html

Or conside moving to a Samurai box grafted in...

More
21 Aug 2016 11:49 #171522 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic jimny eating rear props
Maybe too much caster on the rear? Not 4" arms on a 3" lift? Have you spacer on the rear as well as the front? Consider going back to standard rear arms.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
22 Aug 2016 20:54 #171576 by mc_nebula
Replied by mc_nebula on topic jimny eating rear props
Why would a sammy box make a difference? Do they sit lower?
I have a lobster, but I have not ever fitted it as I have no issues with my current gearing, and I have no facility to bend the lever.
I have a spacer on the front and rear prop, I believe.
The arms are Rhino Rays arms, and for a 3" lift, if I recall. I bought them new.
The original prop had done 25,000-30,000 miles with a corrected 3" lift and many green laning/pay & play days before going, and a grand total of around 120,000. The "new" prop has barely managed 5,000, and two tame green laning days. I guess I just got unlucky, second hand parts and all that!

In my mind, a spacer will make the angle the prop sits at more severe. Is it there because the prop is too short otherwise?

Ali.

More
23 Aug 2016 11:31 #171588 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic jimny eating rear props

mc_nebula wrote: Why would a sammy box make a difference? Do they sit lower?
I have a lobster, but I have not ever fitted it as I have no issues with my current gearing, and I have no facility to bend the lever...

Ali.

No, sorry, it's just that the prop is then more suitable for a 3" lift as it has a UJ at the transfer box end, rather than the strange CV affair that Suzuki decided to fit...

My comment was based on the fact you were running a 3" lift, so I wrongly assumed you would have fitted larger tyres and your gearing would have been out...

if you unbolt your prop from the diff flange and then lower it as if the axle has articulated another couple of inches does the CV bind up at the top of the prop?

(It still surprises me that Redacted doesn't offer transfer box sticks... I'll give him a nag next time we're having a chat ;) )

More
23 Aug 2016 14:25 #171594 by mc_nebula
Replied by mc_nebula on topic jimny eating rear props
Oh, I see. I have a sammy rear prop, will it fit? If I recall, it involves re-drilling the flanges, but in terms of length, is it correct for a standard t-case? Could that solve my issues?

I am running larger tyres, but not much larger, only 215/80/15, on offset rims, so not too much difference in size.
I bought the box second hand, but never fitted.

I'm still not sure that it is the lift causing the issues though, as I ran for around 25-30k with the lift on, and no issues with props, and a lot more off-road driving than I do at the moment. Maybe just an unlucky second hand part...

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds