BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

IT WONT START

• Paterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2016 22:17 #164361 by Paterson
IT WONT START was created by Paterson
Hi my poor jimny will not start

I had been out last Sunday off roading local lanes nothing to drastic few wet muddy bits on way home I noticed steering/suspension had developed an issue couldn't hold it in a straight line thought I'd take it to my local jet wash give it a blast off so it was clean to look over everything to try find what was causing this .

So Monday
Moved car onto the drive found bushes on the radius arms had seen better days and a track rod end so I left the car where it was

Today (Friday) fitted all the new parts as planned new poly bushes and the trackrod also spotted it needed new pads so dashed out to get some ....fitted everything all done drop the car back on its wheels to go for a test drive

The problem
Car turns over but doesn't fire
so I started with the basics unplugged every connector i could find in the engine bay all look nice and dry inside sprayed with quick mist of wd40 then clicked back together tried turning it over same again cranks doesn't fire

Next on the list checked all the wiring for damage can't see anything that would have been caught or snagged when lowering the axle to change the bushes

Checked the fuses in the engine bay on the drivers side
Checked fuses under the steering column
All fine

Checked for a spark removed a plug put it in the ht lead and cranked no spark the plug was dry so I checked for fuel at the fuel rail
Removed hose cranked it again nothing

After much reading on the internet found the fuel pump relay location removed relay checked it can hear it clicking .
I then put 12 v Into the loom I had fuel instantly at the rail so that sais pumps good

Now I'm out of ideas I've searched the internet high and low but no luck on finding a match to my car
I did find a few posts about imobilizer faults I've only owned the car a few weeks so I'm unfamiliar with the sequence on the dash lights when I turn on the ignition I don't have a car with a padlock for the imobilizer shown or an engine managment light

Help!!!
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2016 22:54 #164364 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic IT WONT START
Check the wiring to both relays. Look for corroded wires maybe

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• Paterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Mar 2016 14:39 #164390 by Paterson
Replied by Paterson on topic IT WONT START
Today I've physicals checked all the fuses not just with the teat light checked wiring to the relays all looks good.. Took the dials out to check if somebody had removed the bulbs for the immobiliser swapped them all about I don't seem to have the light on the dash I keep reading about.... I have checked coil around key..... I have grey key non central locking

More
27 Mar 2016 07:16 #164408 by skywalker65
Replied by skywalker65 on topic IT WONT START
No spark and no fuel suggests crank sensor. Most injection systems rely on the engine Ecu receiving a signal from the sensor to start everything going

If in doubt ...... Flat out ??

• Paterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2016 08:18 #164409 by Paterson
Ok thankyou I'm hopefully I'm borrowing a decent code reader off of a friend to try and check live data see if it's getting a signal ....I did notice last thing yesterday the rev counter doesn't move at all when I'm cranking so this would make sense

More
27 Mar 2016 08:27 #164410 by gusthegorilla
Replied by gusthegorilla on topic IT WONT START
Be aware also that a crank sensor fault has a habit of NOT showing up on the fault reader. .....I was caught out by this small but significant fact, and wasted days..... :pinch:

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!

• Paterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2016 19:02 #164461 by Paterson
Ok thanks I think I'm just going to order cam and crankshaft sensors my friend seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet with the code reader anyway ....

• littletriple
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2016 18:41 #164660 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic IT WONT START
Interested in what you find. Ours has just developed a similar problem. It cranks but won't fire. I can smell petrol at the exhaust so suspect there's no sparks. It was fine in the evening but wouldn't start the next morning. All suggestions welcome :sick: .

• Paterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2016 21:25 #164667 by Paterson
I'm still none the wiser on mine I've replaced the cam and crankshaft sensors Still the same symptom ..cranks doesnt start no fuel at the rail and no spark .

More
31 Mar 2016 06:07 - 31 Mar 2016 06:11 #164679 by skywalker65
Replied by skywalker65 on topic IT WONT START
Start with basic checks , power to the coils and fuel pump ? Can you hear any clicking from the injectors. Could be an Ecu failure but would think that's pretty rare. Sounds like a power supply issue. Someone had a similar issue on here and he traced it to.a badly corroded wire from the fuse relay box area. Had to untape the harness slightly to find it as water he got in

If in doubt ...... Flat out ??
Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 06:11 by skywalker65.

• Paterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Mar 2016 19:34 #164710 by Paterson
This is my last resort I'll remove all the loom tape and check everything for continuity but I'll have to source a wiring diagram of what does what

• littletriple
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2016 07:33 #164726 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic IT WONT START
well, embarrassingly it seems ours was just flooded.:blush: Didn't realise that was even possible with "modern" injected engines. :blink:
But this raises another question. I have always felt it runs way rich on cold starts & idles at near 3000 until warm when all returns to normal. The garage also reckon it is over fuelling when cold which could partly explain the flooding. Is this usual & does anyone know if it can it be adjusted?

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds