BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Few questions

• emu88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Sep 2015 19:09 #151542 by emu88
Few questions was created by emu88
I'm new to Jimnys and I just have a few questions related to things I just want to clarify or rectify as needed - if anyone can help that would be great.

1. When I filled up full, the fuel gauge rose reaaaaally slowly to eventually register full. Plus the needle always shows what is in the tank even with the ignition off. Normal?

2. When I do a cold start the rpms are about 1800 for a short while then drop down to normal range. When I put the fog lights on the rpms drop slightly.

3. The standard clarion CD player doesn't quite work - the issue is that there are 2 small plastic tabs sticking up inside the cd slot which I can only depress manually with a screwdriver or something similar. Then I can just about get a cd in or out. When I press eject it tries 3 times and just clicks. I assume those 2 locking tabs are stuck. Does anyone know if this is an easy enough fix or not really worth it?

4. Is the Jimny very uneconomical at very high speeds? I did 80-85mph for about an hour or more and for another hour rarely below 60 - I had a full tank at 76296 miles and half a tank at 76379 miles, so I used 20 litres over just 83 miles which is only 166 miles on a full tank = about 19mpg. What is the most economical speed range?

5. I acquired the following workshop manual, is it the correct one for a 2004 jimny jlx mode? It says 'applicable model: SN413' and is dated 1998 but printed in Jan 2002.

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Sep 2015 19:30 #151550 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Few questions
1 I don't know, mine doesn't but it is much newer older ones may.

2 yeah mine does that too when cold but it is a failure mode of one or other sensors if it does it when warm.

3 the standard clarion is junk as soon as it acts up bin it. There are various guidance notes on here for more information.

4 jimny is happy at about 55mph and quite economic and is relatively ok even at 70. More than 70 is flaying the guts out of it and the economy drops like a boulder. Mine is standard and I get high 40s on a run low 30s in town and a bit less with the full 1300 kg trailer on the back.

5 there's a sticky on the subject of manuals at the top of the page.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Sep 2015 23:16 #151569 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Few questions
1. Normal
2. Normal
3. Normal. Ditch it for whatever Halford's have on offer.
4. The Jimny is uneconomical at all speeds. It won't be quite as bad as your rough estimate suggests, but around 30-32mpg is normal for a healthy early model driven gently. At 80mph expect much less.
5. Check if it covers the twin cam engine. It's the only thing that changed between 1998 and 2004.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Sep 2015 09:36 - 09 Sep 2015 09:39 #151581 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Few questions
1. Normal. Did it all the time i had the car.

2. Normal. I would guess its something in the starting/choke sequence

3. Never used the CD player.

4. Fuel guages often have 'habits'. The one in your Jimny will drop quickly for the first half a tank (normally 100miles) and the the second half of the tank will drop slower (often giving 140miles). I achieved 230-240miles on a tank consistantly for 5 years

5. I have still not got around to sending you the info i have, which should include all service manuals accross the Jimny range.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2015 09:39 by adamatdraycott.

• emu88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Sep 2015 10:06 #151582 by emu88
Replied by emu88 on topic Few questions
Alrighty then, thanks a lot everyone!

• emu88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Sep 2015 10:14 - 09 Sep 2015 10:34 #151583 by emu88
Replied by emu88 on topic Few questions
Will any standard sized stereo fit/be compatible? Does the harness on the Jimny have the white slot in connector or the pin-type? Don't want to order the wrong kind.

Would connection on the back of this be good?

www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/ca...eh-1700ub-car-stereo

Or this type:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XVVF5LE/ref=sr_1_...&keywords=car+stereo
Last edit: 09 Sep 2015 10:34 by emu88.

More
09 Sep 2015 12:29 #151586 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Few questions
It should be a standard ISO connector so any single din headunit will fit and plug straight in.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds