BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Relocating the rear lights! How to guide

• Statey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2015 23:04 #151034 by Statey
I finally got around to having a go at this today! After recently seeing some Jimnys with cut down rear bumpers I decided I liked the look and I knew the first thing I would need to do is relocate the rear lights from the bumper to the cluster.

This is the way I did it, I'm not a mechanic just like having a go but feel free to leave any comments etc :)

Step 1
Remove the rear cluster lights (ones not in the bumper) Large Phillips screwdriver will do

Step 2
Remove all the bumper bolts. 2 in both arches, 3 between boot door and bumper, 1 under each light cluster.

Step 3
Carefully pull away he bumper and disconnect the loom.

Step 4
Remove the bumper light cluster and cut around the bulb holders (I used a little coping saw as couldn't find my dremel cutter)
Will need to make sure it's trimmed tidy after.

Step 5
In the passenger side you will need to cut a hold into the blank.

Step 6
Match up the indicators into the top holes of the clusters, make sure the widest section is fit inside the smallest hole (tried to point out below)

Step 7
Apply a little super glue to the cluster and press with the bulb in the until starts to tack. Then remove the bulb carefully and leave to dry

Step 7 repeat on the lower (stop and tail)

Step 8 using the old loom from the bumper move he wiring inside the rear of the Jimny (My rear panels are removed at the moment and this would have been a pain without them removed)
Push the old wiring through the cluster hole

Step 9 repeat the process on the drivers side

Step 10 undo the wiring slightly to make it longer to get the old bumper look over to the other corner

Step 11 Connect it all up and try it out!

Step 12 tbc...
Number plate light, Fog and Reverse still needed to be sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2015 17:21 #151118 by Halford
good guide, like the chop and glue approach ;)

re:

what's happening :unsure:

the lower light = ?

the middle light (old reverse) = ?

the top light (right fog) ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

More
11 Feb 2018 16:56 #189268 by jackonlyjack
off side
fog light green wire + black wire earth
reverse light red wire + black wire earth
indicator green wire with yellow line + black wire earth

near side
indicator green wire with red line + black wire earth
rear lights red wire with yellow line + black wire earth
brake lights green wire with white line + black wire earth

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

More
12 Feb 2018 07:34 #189281 by yakuza
On my 2005 car there is only blinkers and fog in the bumper.
Should be easy to relocate the blinkers to the upper reverse, make new reverse light(s) and just forget about the fog/highway light.
Rear fog light missing is not a MOT fail in Norway if it is completely removed. If it is there it must work though.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
12 Feb 2018 16:42 #189285 by jackonlyjack

yakuza wrote: On my 2005 car there is only blinkers and fog in the bumper.
Should be easy to relocate the blinkers to the upper reverse, make new reverse light(s) and just forget about the fog/highway light.
Rear fog light missing is not a MOT fail in Norway if it is completely removed. If it is there it must work though.

Yes would be possible just need to fit yellow T20 bulbs
just check your wire colours against the ones i posted
if wire colours match then all information is here ;)

Jack

More
20 Jan 2019 18:19 - 20 Jan 2019 18:28 #201240 by Dirtbird
Ok lads I have a twist on this what worked for me and took less than 40 mins to sort out.
Here it is

1.Get a soldering Iron and flatten the soldering tip.

Now the soldering Iron becomes a hot knife so no cutting .
2.Start melting out the bulb holders.
Take your time and within a minute you will have cut out the holder

3. I used a 3 in grinder with a flap wheel to reduce the height of the bulb holder you have just cut out .
This is important because the indicator socket sits taller and could be closer to the body behind the light fitting.

4. With the same soldering iron and the sockets height(while cut outs) tailored to the new housing location (Black locations)start melting the black sides of the new holes on to the white adapter.

6.The test

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jan 2019 18:28 by Dirtbird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

More
20 Jan 2019 19:49 #201249 by Max Headroom
Good work Dirtbird and thanks for sharing this.

I keep eyeing the redundant lighting positions on mine and wondering if anything can be added :huh:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
21 Jan 2019 09:25 #201298 by Dirtbird
No problem have benefited from the work of everyone else here so makes sense to contribute.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

More
23 Jan 2019 17:35 #201520 by helijohn

Dirtbird wrote: No problem have benefited from the work of everyone else here so makes sense to contribute.

Like it.

I think I used redundant lenses for something like fog or reverse on mine; can't remember now.

Most soldering guns have a plastic cutter tip - my Weller does and I use it a lot!

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds