BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Uprated CVS and shafts

More
22 May 2015 06:25 #144620 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Uprated CVS and shafts

Jezz wrote: Redacted , if you don't mind. Knowing this is your field. Do you have a preference for 22 or 26 spline shaft, Or doe's it not matter a great deal?

Jezz wrote: I should just say, I'm not trying to put you on the spot. I'm just interested in your thoughts on the big shaft small shaft, 2 pin 4 pin big spline etc argument.

Oooh, waiting with baited breath... :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2015 07:50 #144628 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Uprated CVS and shafts
i went for 26 spline as ive seen a std front jimny diff that has failed.

im going to get a jimny rear ARB drop it into the front, saves getting 26 spline sides for a jimny front.

with all the CV's shafts and diff strengthened, it will just pass to the next weakest point, which will prob be the front prop or ring and pinion gears (as i have also sheared the teeth of a ring gear) but this was the rear axle though

More
22 May 2015 08:50 #144631 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Uprated CVS and shafts
Will you be only offering 26 spline shafts through JimnyBits then Rus?

• TomDK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2015 09:01 #144634 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Uprated CVS and shafts

bluejimny wrote: i went for 26 spline as ive seen a std front jimny diff that has failed.

im going to get a jimny rear ARB drop it into the front, saves getting 26 spline sides for a jimny front.

with all the CV's shafts and diff strengthened, it will just pass to the next weakest point, which will prob be the front prop or ring and pinion gears (as i have also sheared the teeth of a ring gear) but thi out s was the rear axle though

What about warranty Rus?
I know that RCV offers warranty on all their shafts and joints.

• TomDK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2015 11:47 #144644 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Uprated CVS and shafts

Jezz wrote: So that begs the question, why are they making both if Tomdk claims the 22 spline are superior?

I only claim them to be superior to 26 splines from RS.
26 splines shafts vs 22 splines both from RCV, I'm pretty sure the 26 splines would be a bit stronger :)

• ilten
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2015 14:40 #144707 by ilten
Replied by ilten on topic Uprated CVS and shafts

bluejimny wrote: i went for 26 spline as ive seen a std front jimny diff that has failed.

with all the CV's shafts and diff strengthened, it will just pass to the next weakest point, which will prob be the front prop or ring and pinion gears (as i have also sheared the teeth of a ring gear) but this was the rear axle though

And how are you going to accomplish this? As a rear Jimny / Samurai diff is a lot bigger than a Jimny front??? I have ARBs front and rear, and if you want to use 26 spline you will have to get 26 spline side gears for a rear ARB and machine the collar on the gear so it fits in the front. It can be done, but it's tricky.

• Rockwatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2015 21:00 - 23 May 2015 21:01 #144718 by Rockwatt
Replied by Rockwatt on topic Uprated CVS and shafts
Sorry for the late reply guys

Right my "opinion"

Why would you go to all the expense of replacing your tiny cv's with larger stronger alternative and not fit the rear carrier for a few quid more for all the benefits it would give

The shafts would be bigger diameter (and a couple of mm here give a big percentage increase in torsional strength)
More splines=more points of contact=less chance of stripping splines.
4pin diff shares the balance load with 2 more gears so that effectively doubles its strength though the diff gears.

All this extra strength is useless without correct assembly and maintenance.

Cheers
Last edit: 23 May 2015 21:01 by Rockwatt.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds