BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Drilling rear bottom shock mounts

More
07 Dec 2014 23:34 #131802 by kirkynut
I've never had a problem with my rear shock mounts but rather than have the bolts sheer off and have a problem or a bolt fall out, I thought I'd drill them and put studding through.

Has anyone done this as a preventative measure before the bolt sheers in it? If so can you get away with an HSS bit as you are not drilling through the hardened steel sheered off bolt, just the shock mount on the axle?

Will it take forever with an HSS bit?

Cheers

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2014 23:47 #131803 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: Will it take forever with an HSS bit?Cheers

Kirkynut

Probably Rob.
These days I seem to be drilling bolts out all over the place and TBH it takes forever (I use HSS bits) - rotting Pinin innit lol. I tend to sharpen the drill almost twice in a use.

What choice do you have though!! :whistle:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
08 Dec 2014 07:00 - 08 Dec 2014 08:27 #131806 by X8GGY
I use a 10mm bolt!

It's a headlight bolt from a 3" jimny bodylift... been on for 4 laning trips now. B)

I'm planning to get some bottom shock sleeve inserts made with a 10mm hole rather than a 12mm...
Last edit: 08 Dec 2014 08:27 by X8GGY.

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2014 08:32 #131810 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Drilling rear bottom shock mounts
a good 12mm drill will go through, ive done it loads of times now

More
08 Dec 2014 08:49 #131815 by supergaz
I drilled mine out and used a bolt straight through, been tested hard for a few years and all great. Remember if drilling to use cutting oil.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2014 18:08 #131860 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Drilling rear bottom shock mounts
Will drill no problem just do it nice and slow . Drilling fast just melts drill bits :-) Use a 12mm drill not an 1/2" and get bolts with a plain shaft ...if you dont the shocks rattle like mad one of the main reasons I used bushed relocation brackets lol

More
08 Dec 2014 22:05 #131895 by kirkynut
Cheers chaps - what's the reason for them sheering though - I can only think it's a direct hit from a rock or similar or seized in and sheering when being undone?

Cheers

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
09 Dec 2014 21:41 #131979 by supergaz
Either impact or fatigue, hell of alot of stress goes through them, especially off road.

More
10 Dec 2014 07:07 #131987 by robs5230
you need a couple of good quality 12mm bits i think i used piranha. and some kind of coolant / cutting paste. a drill with some guts makes it easier too. nice and slow and let the drill and bit do the work . took me about 20 minutes per side. careful breaking through the other side as the bit may nip up and snap. i think they shear on a lifted jimny ( non caster corrected) as the shock sits at such a bad angle over the bolt putting loads of pressure on one area. even standard ones i have seen are at an angle.

standard jimny - for now

More
10 Dec 2014 21:48 #132028 by kirkynut
Thanks again chaps. I've been playing with brake pipes and diff breathers so haven't done anything yet and was considering whether I shall do so or not, using the info you have all supplied to assist in making a decision.

Robs5230, you make interesting points about fatigue and angles.

Mine have been abused in the past but not failed once. This was with no castor correction with a 3" lift too.

Now I have Castor Correction and new bolts. We shall see. It is certainly easier to do it now than when a bolt is sheared off inside!

I grease them with waterproof grease on the bolt threads regularly and carry spare bolts, should one come out, but do them up with my electric impact gun, so they are unlikely to do so and never have.

I shall have a think!

Kirkynut

More
13 Dec 2014 23:40 #132284 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: I shall have a think!

Kirkynut

Hey Rob, have you finished thinking? :whistle:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
16 Dec 2014 14:39 - 16 Dec 2014 14:40 #132463 by kirkynut

helijohn wrote:

kirkynut wrote: I shall have a think!

Kirkynut

Hey Rob, have you finished thinking? :whistle:

Nope! It hurts and I've just had a stroke! Not another one, the original one!

:S

Kirkynut

Last edit: 16 Dec 2014 14:40 by kirkynut.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds