BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Converting Vacuum hubs to fixed hubs

• troggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2015 12:29 #135157 by troggy
Replied by troggy on topic Re:Converting Vacuum hubs to fixed hubs
PS hubs have locked but will not unlock. Or do they just need stripping and cleaning?
The topic has been locked.
More
20 Jan 2015 22:13 #135575 by kirkynut

troggy wrote: PS hubs have locked but will not unlock. Or do they just need stripping and cleaning?

You'd be best asking in a new thread. This is about getting rid of the vacuum hubs because they're problematic and the people posting on this thread generally haven't bothered with fixing them but rather converting them to be fixed.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
More
21 Jan 2015 21:56 #135678 by helijohn

troggy wrote: PS hubs have locked but will not unlock. Or do they just need stripping and cleaning?

PS?
I took some pics of my manual ones when I stripped them down; they are on here somewhere. The springs weaken or break. In mine they had been assembled incorrectly.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
  • troggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2015 17:48 #135738 by troggy
Replied by troggy on topic Re:Converting Vacuum hubs to fixed hubs
ps = 'post script' ie I meant it to be added to my last post!
More
22 Jan 2015 17:59 #135740 by helijohn

troggy wrote: ps = 'post script' ie I meant it to be added to my last post!

It's cos I am so used to my PS (PS = Playstation). ;)

More
02 Feb 2015 15:12 - 02 Feb 2015 21:53 #136722 by auchenblae
Ok I give up.

New across axle metal vacuum pipes last summer due to flashing green light.

Then replaced one of the vacuum hubs from someone on here's stock.

Happy days last Autumn.

Now the flashing light is on again removed the vaccum switch that tends to set the flashing light going, tested and pasted the test and no flashing green light after reassmebly.

Which I thought i had sorted the system but still not going in to 4WD with no flashing light.

I switched it out of 4WD an switched back into 4WD and no flashing ligh but only in 2WD

Then took the hubs off the offise is in 4WD but the NS is out 4WD.

Put in different hubs and same again.

Again tested the solenoid valve pack. The engaged valve is working fine the disengage valve is goosed and it allows air flow in all three spigots. It should only be 2 out of three.

Had enough of that crap.

Set the auto hubs to 4WD and bolted back on.

Shorted the vacuum switch wiring so no flashing light.

Removed and plugged the hose from the check valve at the platic manifold.

Went out in the ice and snow and going into and out of real 4WD with no problem.

Happy with that, will do a permanent fix to the autohubs next week as Kirkynut has done.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07
Last edit: 02 Feb 2015 21:53 by auchenblae.
More
02 Feb 2015 17:10 #136728 by helijohn

auchenblae wrote:
Had enough of that crap.

Set the auto hubs to 4WD and bolted back on.

Shorted the vacuum switch wiring so no flashing light.

Removed and plugged the hose from the check valve at the platic manifold.

Went out in the ice and snow and going into and out of real 4WD with no problem.

Happy with that, will do a permanent fix to the autohubs next week as Kirkynut has done.

Attachments:
  • philbotechnics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2015 16:53 #156318 by philbotechnics
Replied by philbotechnics on topic Converting Vacuum hubs to fixed hubs
Hi all

I am very new to the site and to Jimnys and after advice as I know very little about cars/mechanics but would like to learn.

I have purchased a 2001 1.3 JLX Jimny with 80000 miles on the clock. It is to be used for only going up and down a very steep lane/hill onto our land/farm during winter/crap weather and not for use on the roads.
It all appeared fine and in good nick until I got it home.
The 4wd is not working and when off road and in 4wd the light just flashes and I have plenty of rear wheel spin and no drive from the front wheels :( :(

Not having any idea about it I didn't realise that the 4WD light flashing indicated a problem!! From reading other posts I now know this is an issue with the vacuum pipes/hubs which can split and also the solenoids getting jammed up with crap etc causing the 4wd not to engage, amongst other issues. Now I am not mechanical minded so I do apologise if this is a stupid question.

I have seen numerous posts about fitting manual hubs that will make the car permanently 4wd that you can buy for about £120-150.

The questions I am asking are

1. How easy are the manual hubs to fit and do you HAVE to cap the vacuum pipes? (My understanding is this is just to stop the light flashing but if your not arsed it doesn't matter??)
2. Also does the term "manual" mean I have to do something with them once fitted to lock them into 4WD?
3. The other issue causing me confusion is I have seen posts regarding this being done and people still talking about using the stick to put the car into 4WD??? I thought that if these manual hubs were fitted the car was constantly in 4wd therefore rendering the stick redundant?
4. Also I have seen spacers mentioned. Do I need to purchase these as well?

Like I say I apologise if I come across like I know nothing (cos I don't!) but would like some advice.

Please be honest and if you think Im best just taking to a local 4x4 garage I will, but would like to try to sort myself if a relatively simple fix.

Cheers
More
15 Nov 2015 17:32 #156320 by j999pre
1. 6 bolts per side and that is it fitted. Blocking the pipes also stops water getting in. Just loop one rubber pipe onto both inputs pin the hub

2. Manual does mean you have to get out abd lock them in. However if you aren't using it on the road just leave them locked.

3. You will still use the 4wd lever this engages drive to the front prop, otherwise you will still be in 2wd but you will be turning all the front shafts etc as the hubs are locked.

4. If you buy jimny specific manual hubs you don't need spacers. If you but sj ones you do.

I have some sj hubs and spacers for sale If you are interested

I hope that helps

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS
The following user(s) said Thank You: philbotechnics
More
15 Nov 2015 18:41 #156328 by minibbb
James,

Any idea what size rubber piping I need to block the inputs on the hub?
More
15 Nov 2015 19:10 #156330 by j999pre
Just use one of the existing rubber pipes. I did this then just connected the 2wires to the vacuum sensor (just under the solenoids) hey presto solid green light instantly

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS
The following user(s) said Thank You: minibbb
More
15 Nov 2015 19:44 #156338 by helijohn

philbotechnics wrote: Hi all
1. How easy are the manual hubs to fit
2. Also does the term "manual" mean I have to do something with them once fitted to lock them into 4WD?
3. The other issue causing me confusion is I have seen posts regarding this being done and people still talking about using the stick to put the car into 4WD??? I thought that if these manual hubs were fitted the car was constantly in 4wd therefore rendering the stick redundant?

It is a simple enough job. Longer is the job of electrically stopping the flashing light. I have an article on it with pics if you can search for it.
You have to physically manually turn the hubs to or from engaged but I used to leave mine engaged at all time even on my previous SJ413. You still have to use the "stick" to allow drive to go to the front wheels if required.

The following user(s) said Thank You: philbotechnics
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds