BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Difficult to start, then lots of white smoke

More
28 Sep 2014 13:17 #125285 by 2013gary
Hi all,

I have had my Jimny since June and all has been well so far until this morning when I couldn't get it to start. It seemed to turn over fine but it wouldn't spark. I left it for 5 mins, and tried again while pumping the gas and it eventually started with a huge puff of white smoke from the exhaust. It was running very rough and felt as though it was going to cut out so I held the gas on for a bit. It smoked more but not as much. I turned it off, came back to it 15 minutes later and it started absolutely fine with no obvious smoke at all.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I'm worried it might be the HG so I'm reluctant to drive it for the time being, even though I think it would probably drive okay. There is no gunk around the oil cap and the coolant looks fine through the outside of the overflow tank, however it was a little bit dark when I looked inside the tank even though I changed the coolant in June when I bought it. The coolant doesn't seem oily though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2014 13:34 - 28 Sep 2014 13:35 #125288 by Elaine
White smoke. Isn't that usually fuel starvation?

E. :)
Last edit: 28 Sep 2014 13:35 by Elaine.

More
28 Sep 2014 14:28 - 28 Sep 2014 14:29 #125292 by facade

2013gary wrote: I couldn't get it to start. It seemed to turn over fine but it wouldn't spark. I left it for 5 mins, and tried again while pumping the gas and it eventually started with a huge puff of white smoke from the exhaust. It was running very rough and felt as though it was going to cut out so I held the gas on for a bit. It smoked more but not as much.

Pretty much describes exactly what happens the next day if you started it up to move it on the drive, and turned it off before it had warmed up properly.

Any chance that you have done that?

Otherwise could be anything, wait and see if it does it again.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 28 Sep 2014 14:29 by facade.

More
28 Sep 2014 16:43 - 28 Sep 2014 16:45 #125298 by 2013gary

Elaine wrote: White smoke. Isn't that usually fuel starvation?

I was getting the impression that it wasn't getting enough fuel to start.

facade wrote:

2013gary wrote: I couldn't get it to start. It seemed to turn over fine but it wouldn't spark. I left it for 5 mins, and tried again while pumping the gas and it eventually started with a huge puff of white smoke from the exhaust. It was running very rough and felt as though it was going to cut out so I held the gas on for a bit. It smoked more but not as much.

Pretty much describes exactly what happens the next day if you started it up to move it on the drive, and turned it off before it had warmed up properly.

Any chance that you have done that?

Otherwise could be anything, wait and see if it does it again.

Oddly enough I did pull it forward a bit on the drive yesterday - it was only running for a few seconds. I'll take it for a spin tonight so that it can get up to temp and see what happens.

Thanks both for your advice

Gary
Last edit: 28 Sep 2014 16:45 by 2013gary.

More
28 Sep 2014 17:08 #125299 by facade

2013gary wrote: Oddly enough I did pull it forward a bit on the drive yesterday - it was only running for a few seconds.

That'll do it. ;)

Never start up a car and switch it off again after a few seconds. If you try that with A Really Expensive Car it can cost hundreds for a specially trained technician to fly in by helicopter and strip the whole car down to clean the 'plugs :ohmy: :ohmy:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
28 Sep 2014 17:51 #125300 by Elaine

facade wrote: Never start up a car and switch it off again after a few seconds. If you try that with A Really Expensive Car it can cost hundreds for a specially trained technician to fly in by helicopter and strip the whole car down to clean the 'plugs :ohmy: :ohmy:

I've had my Jimny for over 7 years now, and have started it up for just a few seconds many, many times. Never had any problems... Nor with our really expensive cars. :)

More
28 Sep 2014 19:46 #125313 by facade
Jaguar XJ8 V8s are renowned for it, and it takes 2 hours to change the 'plugs if you can't start it by keeping the pedal flat (which puts it in "no fuel" mode) to clear the engine.

More
28 Sep 2014 19:48 #125315 by Rhinoman
I would do a compression test.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
29 Sep 2014 06:22 #125344 by Elaine

facade wrote: Jaguar XJ8 V8s are renowned for it, and it takes 2 hours to change the 'plugs if you can't start it by keeping the pedal flat (which puts it in "no fuel" mode) to clear the engine.

Aaah, never owned a Jag. They're not a make that appeals to me... I prefer relatively rare sporty cars. :)

More
29 Sep 2014 09:43 #125353 by kirkynut
Jimnys do have a problem sometimes if they are started and quickly stopped then re started. At which point they can want to not start.

I think over fuelling where fuel is still injected after shut down is the issue. So the plugs are wet. Wide open throttle gives more air and balances the over fuelling.

Mine has done it a number of times but not lately. I am conscious of it though so let it run for a while. I have a clip to connect my garage keys to the ignition key to be able to separate them and lock the garage with it running.

I've not had a problem the day after though.

I would run it as normal locally and keep an eye on it with regards to oil and coolant levels and oil in the coolant or vice versa and maybe change the spark plugs unless you know they're newish.

It could be spark plugs on the way out.

If it persist and there is no obvious cause I'd start to investigate further. A compression test then perhaps coolant temperature sensor replacement and throttle body / air flow meter clean.

I think it's just one of those quirks though in all honesty.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2013gary

More
29 Sep 2014 14:36 #125384 by 2013gary
I took it for a 5 mile drive yesterday and all seemed fine. It started fine again this morning and drove a further 20 miles with no visible smoke or anything.

I think kirkynut may be right though as I did start it for only a few seconds the day before, which is something that I never normally do. Now that I am aware I will probably never do it again. If it wasn't for that smokey start up then everything would be normal so I'll just carry on as normal but keep an eye on the levels. Thanks again for the advice though.

Gary

More
29 Sep 2014 17:18 #125397 by Basketcase
Ours does it if we start it and stall it taking it off the drive or something takes a bit for it to realise we want it running again. Few good revs and it clears up alright

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds