BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Convert push button to stick shift transfer box

• Docmartin4x4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2014 21:52 #120333 by Docmartin4x4
Hi all, I have a 06 VVT with push button transfer box and 4 WD.

Is it easy enough to convert to stick shift?
I want to get an auto transfer box as they have a lower ratio, but can I fit an earlier auto transfer box (stick shift), will I need to change any propshafts?

Mart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jutwit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2014 09:43 - 20 Jul 2014 09:44 #120349 by Jutwit
I asked a very similar question a while back but wanted to put in a rock lobster got in touch with rob storr and this is what he said

they can be fitted but you would need to modify your middle prop shaft length and remove the blanking plate from the tunnel. It would be very low geared as the ratios are different in the gearbox on the vvt but you could fit an early gearbox with an adapter plate. Its all do able just a bit more involved with the vvt

Hope that's of some use
Last edit: 20 Jul 2014 09:44 by Jutwit.

More
20 Jul 2014 10:30 #120351 by Obarno
I have a 2007 VVT with rocklobster transfer box. The box was fitted when I bought the car but it was very low geared as the VVT gearbox has lower ratios than the up 2005 m13 gearbox. Crucially it's 5th gear which is noticeably low as it's a 1:1 gear rather than about .75 which the earlier box has. I have fitted 30" tyres and also changed the diffs to 3.9 rather than 4.3 but even so it's low geared on the main roads. However off road it's good as it has plenty of low gears and seldom runs out of puff!
The centre prop for the VVT is different as the gearbox spline is different, but if you fit a rocklobster you have to shorten the centre prop anyway, or fit a Samurai prop. It's easy then to change the gearbox spline joint for the VVT one on the Samurai prop. As regards the gear lever there is a removable plate in the tunnel and you can then use a Samurai gaiter and retaining plate. For the dashboard 4x4 light you can wire the rocklobster switch to which ever one of the lights you prefer, either the high range or low range. The Samurai switch will earth the wire to the dashboard light and it works. Unfortunately I don't now remember the wire colour but you could find it from a wiring diagram. I joined the wire by the module above the accelerator pedal. If yours has aircon by cutting the original wiring 4x4 light wire you will overcome the aircon not working in 4wd.
Don't know if this helps or confuses but good luck.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15
The following user(s) said Thank You: Docmartin4x4

More
21 Jul 2014 21:21 #120449 by Busta
The non-electric transfer boxes all had the same ratios. They are lower than your electric transfer box, but not as low as the automatic electric transfer boxes.

www.bigjimny.com/images/documents/transferboxratios.pdf

• RichiesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2014 21:38 #120452 by RichiesJimny
Replied by RichiesJimny on topic Convert push button to stick shift transfer box
It could work out cheaper to fit a trailgear reduction kit in your existing transfer box than it would be to the convert it to a stick shift or rocklobster.

• Jutwit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2014 22:23 #120455 by Jutwit
Is it possible to put a lever on an electric transfer box then?

More
22 Jul 2014 08:50 #120461 by Busta
I asked that before and the answer was 'we don't think so'. I have yet to look closely at an electric box to see. The other option is get someone who is handy with electronics to make a more ruthless shift controller- one that will crunch it through a bit more readily.

More
22 Jul 2014 11:48 #120467 by Rhinoman

Busta wrote: a more ruthless shift controller- one that will crunch it through a bit more readily.

I don't understand why that is needed, is there an issue with the electronic controller? mine seem to work OK.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
22 Jul 2014 19:17 #120496 by Basketcase
I've just been reading this and I'm insure as to how you know the prop shafts are different lengths, I have an 07 reg push button 4wd and a 51reg lever 4wd, the centre prop off the 51 reg pretty much fell apart so I used my prop off the 07 on it and got a replacement prop for the 51 plate off James off here and they fit both cars with no problems I'm yet to fit a stick 4wd to the 07 reg as I'm not sure of the switches I think they can be temperamental

• Jutwit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jul 2014 21:48 #120519 by Jutwit
Mines very temperamental with 4lo sometimes it will go in sometimes it won't and once when it was in it took over 30 min of pissing about going backwards forwards over mud , gravel etc to disengage, bloody thing just beeps and I've lost confidence in it to be honest, and I've spoken to a few people who have button selectors not just on jimnys and they all say the same, I think you can't go wrong with a lever, you can feel it in and out and you know it's done, I think they are like all car makes now just over complicating things, and I don't know why there's a need for elec gizmos like hand brakes etc

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
22 Jul 2014 22:21 #120522 by funkyjimny
Best ask Redacted , PM him.

Gary

• Jutwit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jul 2014 22:29 #120523 by Jutwit

funkyjimny wrote: Best ask Redacted , PM him.

Gary

Already have a while back, and what it would cost to do what I want to mine it would be cheaper to get an older jimny that's been modded and keep mine as a daily driver, so saving for another jim

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds