BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

snorkel fors and against

• jimnylee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2014 22:04 #109175 by jimnylee
snorkel fors and against was created by jimnylee
Hi folks. I'm looking for some feed back on snorkels , they seem to vary a bit in price but the one I'm looking at is the short body type with flexible hose into the airbox , I use my jimny to commute daily and am wondering if the induction sound is overly loud , basically weighting up the pros and cons , cheers lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2014 22:25 #109178 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic snorkel fors and against
the constant whine gets on my nerves even at tickover. they have to be sealed properly to work for wading . driving in heavy snow can introduce water into the air filter unless the top is turned backwards. when turned backwards its even noisier.
in my opinion if you intend to travel through deep water or want your jimny to look the part then fit one if not leave as standard.
as standard you have to be in water to a level of about the top of the wheels to get it in the air box.

standard jimny - for now
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimnylee

• parriehunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2014 22:59 #109183 by parriehunter
Replied by parriehunter on topic snorkel fors and against
I thought the whine in mine was because it is a cheap chinese copy.

Cheap Chinese Snorkel

I fitted one to my Jimny after falling in a couple of holes in my Terrano and being about 20mm off hydrolocking the motor. (yes i did walk across but did not see/walk in the holes).

One thing i do like is the increased induction noise at high revs...it must be the boy racer in me.

More
20 Mar 2014 06:40 #109214 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic snorkel fors and against
The air box has drain hles in it but these have to be blocked if you fit a snorkel (otherwise water will enter the air box through the holes in the sort of deep waterfor which you wanted the snorkel). So a snorkel has to be absolutely sealed, or it could get you into more trouble.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2014 06:46 #109215 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic snorkel fors and against
Their only loud at wide open throttle, if your just pottering around barely on the gas its not that loud.

Sound good tho especially if you thrash it B)

More
20 Mar 2014 06:48 - 20 Mar 2014 06:50 #109216 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic snorkel fors and against

parriehunter wrote: I thought the whine in mine was because it is a cheap chinese copy.

Cheap Chinese Snorkel

I fitted one to my Jimny after falling in a couple of holes in my Terrano and being about 20mm off hydrolocking the motor. (yes i did walk across but did not see/walk in the holes).

One thing i do like is the increased induction noise at high revs...it must be the boy racer in me.

years ago i used to run classic minis ( before they were classic :) ) . a stage 1 induction kit with a k&n filter sounds very similar but with the big tube on the snorkel it magnifies the noise . i am running a k&n panel filter in my jim and that may make a difference.
the level of whining present can also be affected by who sits in the passenger seat ;)

standard jimny - for now
Last edit: 20 Mar 2014 06:50 by robs5230.

• Jutwit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2014 09:51 #109232 by Jutwit
Replied by Jutwit on topic snorkel fors and against
Just turn the stereo up B)

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2014 10:36 #109239 by jonesyba420
i can barely hear mine with the window closed, and when your cruising (barely on the gas) its no noisier than without a snorkel. only when your accelerating hard (wide open throttle - W.O.T) is it loud.

if you thrash it (W.O.T) through the gears taking it right up the revs it really roars, sounds like a beast with the windows open B)

if you drive it like you stole it and really use the gears and powerband the little jimny aint as slow as people think (upto about 65mph) :whistle:

• Wiltec17
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2014 13:33 - 20 Mar 2014 19:55 #109261 by Wiltec17
Replied by Wiltec17 on topic snorkel fors and against
Positives,

Great sound
Piece of mind when the water gets a bit high.
Could save an engine if you do go to deep

Negative,

Drill holes in your wing (it's an off roader so personally it didn't bother me at all)
If the water gets to the top of the snorkel then you've probably already drowned.

Personally the sound doesn't bother me, it is noisy when you give it the beans as has been said, if you're at a constant speed with the windows up, there is no difference (you won't hear it over the sound of the chunky tyres anyway) :P
Last edit: 20 Mar 2014 19:55 by Wiltec17.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2014 13:37 #109262 by jonesyba420
You forgot they look cool, toughens up the look of the jimny B)

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2014 13:43 #109265 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic snorkel fors and against
A Jimny can be called a lot of things. Tough has never been one of them ;)

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2014 17:12 #109285 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic snorkel fors and against
I have a solution for the noise, get a LHD Jimny! I can't notice any noise on my truck! :P

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds