BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Squeaky front suspension

• Yohann
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2014 07:09 - 04 Feb 2014 07:14 #103301 by Yohann
Squeaky front suspension was created by Yohann
Hi there,

My Jimny has 11,000 Km, and the front suspension started to squeak over road imperfections and off road.

Weird thing is that it is only happening on the driver side. I brought the car for service twice about this issue and they apparently tighten some suspension parts (language barrier). It works for 20 kilometers before starting squeaking again.

I was looking for grease nipples (habit of owning Austin Mini) but could not find any.

Any suggestions?
Last edit: 04 Feb 2014 07:14 by Yohann.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2014 08:04 #103303 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Squeaky front suspension
Panard rod bushes anti roll bar links or bushes

• Yohann
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2014 08:16 #103306 by Yohann
Replied by Yohann on topic Squeaky front suspension
Cheers for that. So they need to replaced or can I just spray grease on them and hope the squeaks go away?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2014 11:48 #103320 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Squeaky front suspension
Do what ever you want to do

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2014 12:07 #103321 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Squeaky front suspension
if the bushes have had it they need replacing.

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2014 14:52 #103340 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic Squeaky front suspension
Chances are the bushes are shot.

Let's face it, some/most of the provincial roads over there are crap with crater size pot holes in places. Both my vehicles squeak and the Urvan is particularly entertaining. Even the sides can sometimes flex and sound like Rolf Harris on acid! :dry:

More
04 Feb 2014 16:04 #103350 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Squeaky front suspension
beware using grease on bushes. most greases will rot the bushes as well as attracting dirt , sand etc. put up with the squeak and when the yearly mot inspection is due any faults will be picked up. however, if the handling starts to change get it in a garage and get it looked at unless you are capable of finding the fault.

standard jimny - for now

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2014 16:10 #103353 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic Squeaky front suspension

robs5230 wrote: beware using grease on bushes. most greases will rot the bushes as well as attracting dirt , sand etc. put up with the squeak and when the yearly mot inspection is due any faults will be picked up. however, if the handling starts to change get it in a garage and get it looked at unless you are capable of finding the fault.

They don't really have MOTs out there Rob. If they did, the amount of vehicles taken off the road would decimate the haulage and public transport industries. The aircon buses are generally OK tho'.

More
04 Feb 2014 16:36 #103358 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Squeaky front suspension

Yohann wrote: My Jimny has 11,000 Km, and the front suspension started to squeak over road imperfections and off road.

that's not many miles :S

is it a single squeak over a bump or multiple squeaks ?

• Yohann
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2014 02:30 - 07 Feb 2014 01:32 #103583 by Yohann
Replied by Yohann on topic Squeaky front suspension
It sounds like a single squeak from the front suspension (driver side only). I know it is not many km but as Jivingdaddy mentioned most of it was done on really crap roads with massive potholes and flooded roads.

Will bring it to an independent garage to have it checked out, if the bushes are shot, Suzuki may want to save few bucks as it is still under warranty.

MOT is not an issue here, in reality you don't even bring your car to the yearly compulsory emission test unless you are really tight on cash and have a full day to loose.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2014 01:32 by Yohann.

• Yellostreak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2014 08:16 #103588 by Yellostreak
Replied by Yellostreak on topic Squeaky front suspension
its probably a bush and likely not knackered either.... try spraying each bush on the suspension 1 by 1 with some soapy water or light oil then test.. the noise should go away once you target the right bush

if not get the thing on a ramp and start looking around with a pry bar..

• cmrn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2021 07:19 - 14 Jun 2021 07:37 #235778 by cmrn
Replied by cmrn on topic Squeaky front suspension
Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but I found this one via search engine and my input may help others finding it the same way.

Had the same problem, 2010 Jimny with only ~90k kms was squeaking over every little bump, even when I closed the driver side door. Noticed I could recreate the noise by rocking the suspension when parked, tried it with the bonnet up - no squeak. Sprayed some white lithium grease in the bonnet latch and the squeak was gone.

Also tried lifting the bonnet with it fully closed and latched and found a few millimeters of play, so opened the bonnet, unwound the two rubber stoppers on the front outer edges of the engine bay by one full turn and there's now zero play. Doesn't even require tools.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2021 07:37 by cmrn. Reason: Added information

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds