BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

steering wheel and car shake when braking

• tae4551
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2013 09:24 #87315 by tae4551
Hi Guys
new to the forum and have done quite abit of reading on my problem. still confused
I bought an 2008 model jimny yesterday. When braking a speeds above 70km the car and steering wheel shake rather violently. a speeds below 70km there is no issue. I thought it would be the rotors so i had them machined and new pads fitted. I took it out to highway to test. same problem. it only seems to happen when lightly braking at speed although I havent slammed on the brakes yet.
I jacked her up and gave every wheel a good shake. i didnt get any play out of any of them. I am not sure where to look next. stock standard setup. Any advice would be great
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2013 12:26 #87336 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic steering wheel and car shake when braking
By rotors you mean discs?

The calipers sliders may be rusted up disc may not be sitting on the hub correctly

I had discs skimed/machined and thay still give problems id fit new discs to be 100%

Or it could be a track rod end or king pin bearing is there and play when holding the wheel at 6 & 12 oclock and wobbling it also jack it up so the wheel is a few inches of the ground and put a bar under the tyre and lift it up a little and see if there os any up and down movment

• tae4551
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2013 21:48 #87663 by tae4551
Replied by tae4551 on topic steering wheel and car shake when braking
thanks for the reply.

no the calipers are rust free. everything seems normal.
I took it for a long drive and it only shakes through the steering wheel between 70 and 80km and only when riding them slightly to the point it's very dangerous. if apply abit more force and usually just returns to a thump in the peddle and i can feel it through the peddle most of the time when braking at any speed. I will put new discs on it because I believe it is brake related and go from there.
thanks once again

• Stevo200
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2020 00:52 #217755 by Stevo200
Replied by Stevo200 on topic steering wheel and car shake when braking
Hi mate, did you find a solution to the issue? I'm having the exact same problem, rotors were going to be my first stop. Speeds of 75-90 excessive shake when braking but fine at lower speeds. 2015 model completely standard.
Cheers.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jan 2020 05:01 #217756 by Lambert
I'm going to assume you mean 75 to 90 kmh not miles. Is the wheel vibration accompanied by a pulsing sensation in the brake pedal?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Jan 2020 06:25 - 28 Jan 2020 06:56 #217758 by yakuza
Mine had/has the same to some extent. Was much worse before I changed the brake discs. The caliper slider bolts can be kind of stuck with rust or grime inside and you cannot see this without dismantling. Mine probably have this now as I have changed to ventilated Jimny diesel discs and vitara calipers.

The problem can also be small and be worsened by the sum of all slack in the suspension like steering rack, king pin bolts and so on. you can read all about it in the wobble thread.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2020 06:56 by yakuza.

More
28 Jan 2020 09:12 - 28 Jan 2020 09:14 #217762 by Max Headroom
I think Yakuza is on the money here - I've had this issue and changed a perfectly good set of discs believeing them to be faulty.

Although potentially more work intensive (because if its not this you'll probably have to dismantle it all again to get to something else) try the caliper sliders first - these are also the cheaper option initially.
I'm fairly certain there is a 'kit' available for the sliders in the Jimny shop that includes grease and new seals.

It's also imperative that ALL corrosion is removed from between the hub and the disc - this needs to be scrupulously clean as I'm told the disc wont sit flat on the hub and can cause the same effect.

I've got the braking shaking back again slightly, even though I recently changed the track rod ends - so may need to give my sliders a clean up and re-grease.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 28 Jan 2020 09:14 by Max Headroom.

More
30 Jan 2020 08:30 #217838 by kirkynut
This appears to be Death Wobble not an issue with the brakes.

See my sticky thread on Deatb Wobble or the Wiki on it.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds