BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

PTO for Jimny - log splitter, grass cutter etc?

• Sandspider
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2013 16:06 #81603 by Sandspider
Hi all

Bit of a random question, but I was wondering about fitting a PTO to a Jimny. Not for winch use, but to power a log splitter, grass cutters etc. (Turn it into a kind of mini tractor!) I did see that there was a factory fit PTO option for Jimny's in Finland, and also that Redacted makes a transfer box with a PTO attachment. Does anyone have any experience of either of these? Are they relatively powerful / reliable? What rotation direction and speed do they have, and what attachments (if any) can you get to fit?

TIA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2013 19:02 #81628 by Paul4x4
I don't think there are PTO's for the Jimny t-box's, but you can use a SJ/Samurai box equipped with one if you need a PTO. :)

I think they are reliable enough as long as you don't put them through hell with something like powering a winch or something heavy like that. And because the PTO is at the end of the t-box's input shaft, it's speed depends on what gear you're using, and of course how much throttle you push. I think they rotate the opposite way than the engine, because there is a two gear reduction in there if I remember correctly.

As for attachments, you have to figure those out yourself, because I don't think suzuki ever offered even a prop shaft for the thing... At least I haven't seen one! But of course you can do anything if you have the smarts and the skills needed! ;) Just run a custom prop shaft to the rear bumper(don't know how easy that is) and use a support bearing or something at the bumper, and make a custom flange or whatever it takes to attach it to something. :)

• Sandspider
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2013 10:08 #81673 by Sandspider
Replied by Sandspider on topic PTO for Jimny - log splitter, grass cutter etc?
Thanks.

Ahh, that might've been it - an SJ box with PTO fitted to a Jimny. I'm relatively handy, but probably not up to fitting custom prop shafts and extra bearings! Might just have to get a tractor! :s I'll look into it a bit more.

More
31 Aug 2013 11:11 #81678 by supergaz
What about an old Lister engine?

• Sandspider
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2013 13:10 #81688 by Sandspider
That would work for a stationary log splitter, but wouldn't be very manouevrable - not much good for cutting grass etc.! (Unless I mount it on the Jimny...!)

More
05 Sep 2013 15:44 #82267 by Rhinoman
I've been considering this. I was at a show at the weekend and spent some time walking round examing the hook ups on the back of tractors to see how it all hooks up, it certainly looks plausible on my buggy but on a Jimny the PTO could be a bit low unless your're going to bring it through the back door!

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• Sandspider
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2013 16:24 #82272 by Sandspider
I think it's beyond my skills to do, but if you can I'd like to see it!

More
17 Aug 2022 03:24 #244552 by Bhenny
Can you still get a pto for the samurai. I am in need of one and came across in your blog.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds