BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Best rear diff lock!

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2013 13:57 - 13 Jul 2013 13:58 #76973 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Best rear diff lock!

ilten wrote: Coming from a VW Iltis with front & rear mechanical 100% lockers engaged by a lever, I wanted the same for my Jimny. I searched long and hard, but to my knowledge it does not exist. There was a member on pirate4x4.com who build a cable actuated locker for a Samurai rear which theoretically could be used in a Jimny axle, but it had some problems and never left the prototype stadium. So if you are really picky, and money is no object for you whatsoever, just find a company with capable engeniers and enough cnc manufacturing capabilities and have them build you a one off locker. If your pockets are deep enough, it can be done. I went the more reasonable route and installed front and rear ARB lockers. I have the small ARB compressor coupled with a 1l steel air tank under the passenger seat. Once filled it lasts for about 15 or so engagements of the locker before refilling. I think it's reasonable. Yes, it makes some noise, but it's not like it's running constantly. And the ARB lockers are fast!
Good luck in your quest to find the ultimate locker, but it might be easier to just buy a different car or axles.

Exactly :)

There's no point in trying to reinvent the wheel when ARB lockers are tried and tested. And they work B)
Last edit: 13 Jul 2013 13:58 by TomDK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2013 23:01 - 13 Jul 2013 23:03 #76995 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic Best rear diff lock!
I also have a ARB in the rear axle, works great and is very reliable.
You have to spend some money but for me personnaly it's worth every penny !
I fitted it with a compressor with 10 L air-drum.
I do fill it up just before i start my offroad day. Normally it's OK for the rest of the day with no refilling.
Compressor and air tank did cost me around 80£.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2013 23:03 by JuanGuillie.

More
03 Jan 2020 09:06 #216951 by fishjoe
Replied by fishjoe on topic Best rear diff lock!
Can I know the story of KAM locker please? Any link?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jan 2020 09:21 - 03 Jan 2020 09:27 #216952 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Best rear diff lock!
As I remember it the kam locker was a clutch type lsd which had an additional electric locking mechanism that physically locked the diff. I think that the diff pumpkin on the axle case was cut off and a new bolt on cover welded in place to accommodate the electrical actuator. The same result is now available with out the need to modify the casing, zukebob has one from China.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 03 Jan 2020 09:27 by Lambert.

More
03 Jan 2020 16:50 - 03 Jan 2020 16:51 #216961 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Best rear diff lock!
ARB both compressors and lockers are good quality. The mechanical lockers does not match up to the reliability compared to price except for the auto lockers if you install it yourself.
But to have a daily driver with a locker instead of a diff, not for me. I am too old.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2020 16:51 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds