BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

cruise control

More
15 Sep 2012 12:44 #48137 by gilburton
cruise control was created by gilburton
Due to the relatively low speed of the Jimny and my right foot/ankle I find long motorway journeys tedious so have decided to fit a Waeco MS-50 cruise control kit from www.conrad-uk.com
It is currently retailing for around £99. It comes from Germany and has the tuv certificate.
I have the kit and I can only say it is VERY comprehensive and contains everything in separate bags depending on your setup.
I could have got a much cheaper throttle setting device but it is not true cruise control so doesn't vary on hills etc.
I hope to start installation today and depending on weather/other commitments have it completed in a few days although the average fitting time is over a weekend according to the reviews.
At first the instructions seem daunting(there is a download on the webpage) but after studying it it is installed starting with the vacuum servo.Then as you follow the instructions each item is dealt with separately.
Printing the instructions on A4 helps as the book is miniscule with multiple languages.
I've got the perfect position for the servo behind the n/s h/lamp with the cable curving round the back of the engine. I might have to extend the vacuum pipe using some brake tubing but otherwise it is straightforward.
I'll let you know how it goes with some pics. :unsure:

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 15:17 #48142 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic cruise control
Look forward to that one :)

Wow a Jimny with cruise, :) I am surprised Suzuki hasn't started fitting such extras on the latest cars, they are available on pretty much everything else nowadays.

Might be cos of model being superceded soon though.

More
15 Sep 2012 15:32 - 15 Sep 2012 15:36 #48144 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic cruise control
2hrs 30mins later I have the vacuum servo completely installed.
The main module is screwed to the left hand side of the centre console just under the dash. I installed it there as it has a 3 position switch which you may have to adjust for sensitivity..
The (bulky)control switch is stuck on a small aluminium plate which I bolted to a switch blank on the right hand side just below the vent(08 car)and a second hole in the blank was drilled to allow the wiring to run behind the dash.
I had to make up a flat plate as the Jimny is not blessed with room or flat surfaces. :dry:
Tomorrow,if time allows,I'll get the wiring sorted and fit the clutch switch.
After that I'll need to get underneath to fit the magnetic sensor to the propshaft.
That depends on weather/time. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow :unsure:

Last edit: 15 Sep 2012 15:36 by gilburton. Reason: addition

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 15:52 #48147 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic cruise control
can you not wire it up to the brake light switch or the brake pedal i rather put it on the brake pedal cos you dont alway put the clutch down when slowing down i think it would be much safer that way also manufactuers systems work that way

More
15 Sep 2012 20:04 - 15 Sep 2012 20:06 #48165 by gilburton
No problem it is also wired through the brake switch as standard and you get a switch to fit on the clutch:)

Last edit: 15 Sep 2012 20:06 by gilburton. Reason: addition

• Joakae
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 21:00 #48167 by Joakae
Replied by Joakae on topic cruise control
I need one of these!

• niva77
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 21:10 #48169 by niva77
Replied by niva77 on topic cruise control
Sounds great, can't wait to hear how it works out. Would be very nice for my 1 hour commute

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2012 08:00 #48175 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic cruise control
Probably no good for me unfortunately, i'd be lucky to reach 60 with my 33s.

More
16 Sep 2012 08:55 #48178 by facade
Replied by facade on topic cruise control

gilburton wrote: No problem it is also wired through the brake switch as standard and you get a switch to fit on the clutch:)

Presumably, as it isn't an auto, when the speed starts to drop uphill, you change down, and the switch stops the engine racing when you press the clutch, then it can resume the set speed as normal when you release the clutch.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
16 Sep 2012 09:06 #48180 by gilburton

Smoggy wrote: Probably no good for me unfortunately, i'd be lucky to reach 60 with my 33s.

Why? the standard Jimny is best around 50/55 and this is the speed I drive at. As a truck driver this is also the speeds trucks do. This is the reason I want the cruise control.
One tip don't drive at 55 as you'll not really be doing a true 55 you'll only annoy the trucks.
Best to sit at 50 and everything will pass you by :)

More
16 Sep 2012 09:16 #48181 by gilburton

facade wrote:

gilburton wrote: No problem it is also wired through the brake switch as standard and you get a switch to fit on the clutch:)

Presumably, as it isn't an auto, when the speed starts to drop uphill, you change down, and the switch stops the engine racing when you press the clutch, then it can resume the set speed as normal when you release the clutch.

No the clutch/brake switch disengages the cruise control you just change as normal.
The vacuum servo adjusts the throttle when it senses a load and keeps the set speed up.
If you have to change down when you get back into top gear you just press resume and it brings you back to your previous set speed or press set and it it sets the current speed. This is how my truck works and I find on motorways/dual carriageways I rarely have to change out of top(assuming it's quiet and no very steep hills or roundabouts)
The Jimny is very flexible in top gear with the low gearing so I expect it will trundle along nicely in top gear.

More
16 Sep 2012 09:59 #48182 by facade
Replied by facade on topic cruise control
Oh right, it just drops out of cruise if you change down.

Only ever had cruise with an auto, they just change up&down when they feel like it.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds