BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Crankshaft sensor

• The Snail
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2017 19:51 #185806 by The Snail
Replied by The Snail on topic Crankshaft sensor
My sensor is a "Metzger 0902211 Sensor, crankshaft pulse" from Amazon UK. It was £35. It is made in Germany. The interesting thing is that the sensor has the Mitsubishi emblem on it. I had a look at the old broken sensor that was removed and guess what? It has the same Mitsubishi emblem on it? (you can see it in the attached picture). Does Mitsubishi produces parts for Suzuki? I`ve been using the car for a while now and it seems to be fine but I also clean the PCV valve, got a new battery (Bosch) and tighten the alternator belt (new belts). Try to clean the PCV valve and its rubber, it helps a lot and it is a very easy job. Another thing, I think Jimny (M13A) and Mazda MX5 has the same PCV vlave, they look the same (90 degree). I am still searching for a new one but I can`t find where to buy.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2017 19:57 #185807 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Crankshaft sensor
Mitsubishi are a major manufacturer of sensors. So much so that when the tsunami and Fukushima reactor affected the Mitsubishi plant in Japan a number of vehicle manufacturers production was seriously affected.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Snail

More
03 Nov 2017 19:58 - 03 Nov 2017 19:59 #185808 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:RE: Re:Crankshaft sensor
And I keep replying to your various posts about buying a pcv valve by saying I can get them and even giving you the price??

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Last edit: 03 Nov 2017 19:59 by mlines.

• The Snail
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2017 20:11 #185809 by The Snail
Replied by The Snail on topic Crankshaft sensor
I could not find it in the bigjimny store. There is a store that sells Suzuki original parts but the PCV valve ( 18118-54D00 ) is 6 pounds, rubber seal (11198-58B00 ) is 2 pounds and the shipping is 19 pounds from Japan. Is there any chance to have them cheaper in the UK?
Thank you Martin!

More
03 Nov 2017 20:29 #185811 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Crankshaft sensor
Sorry but the price quoted is the price.

As it says on the front of the store, all Suzuki parts are available but I cannot list them all so you have to request them. Once requested for the first time I make them available in the store

Martin

Martin

• The Snail
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2017 20:42 #185813 by The Snail
Replied by The Snail on topic Re:Crankshaft sensor
My fault, I only checked the store. Yes, I see now that on the front page is says "This store offers all common service and maintenance parts for Suzuki Jimnys, at competitive prices" . Would you mind if I ask you how much it will be a PCV valve and its rubber seal, please? It is not urgent because I already cleaned them and it seems to be better now but there is a little bit of movement of the valve into the seal and I don`t like that. Thank you!

More
03 Nov 2017 20:55 #185817 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:RE: Re:Crankshaft sensor

The Snail wrote: My fault, I only checked the store. Yes, I see now that on the front page is says "This store offers all common service and maintenance parts for Suzuki Jimnys, at competitive prices" . Would you mind if I ask you how much it will be a PCV valve and its rubber seal, please? It is not urgent because I already cleaned them and it seems to be better now but there is a little bit of movement of the valve into the seal and I don`t like that. Thank you!

As per my reply previously

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=topic&catid=6&id=50420

PCV Valve - £22
PCV Valve Seal - £5
UK postage - £2.20
Total = £29.20

Martin

• The Snail
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2017 21:01 #185818 by The Snail
Replied by The Snail on topic Re:RE: Re:Crankshaft sensor
Thank you Martin and sorry for the off topic. My fault, again. Good price overall.

More
03 Nov 2017 21:09 #185820 by mlines

The Snail wrote: Thank you Martin and sorry for the off topic. My fault, again. Good price overall.

No problem

Let me know it if you want it

Martin

Martin

More
03 May 2022 10:50 - 13 May 2022 06:54 #243208 by Alastair
Hi Guys,
I have recently had to do some repairs to a Jimny, so thought I’d share my experiences.
It’s an 03 Jimny with the M13A engine (black cover on top of engine, thermostat under the inlet manifold, J5T23891 M1 Crankshaft Sensor behind alternator on driver’s side).

The Crankshaft Sensor can be easily accessed by disconnecting the alternator tensioning arm and lowering the alternator until it touches the metalwork below it. The sensor is easily removed using a ¼” socket set (10mm socket). Suzuki quoted £89 +/- for a genuine part, but I found a Mobiletron CS-J008 equivalent on eBad for less than £20. Comes with a two year Warranty. Arrives on Thursday, hopefully it will do the trick.
If using a breaker bar to tension the fan belt (for example, after changing the thermostat), be careful to avoid accidentally dropping it on to the crankshaft sensor.
Ask me how I know !!!!

The thermostat can be replaced without removing the inlet manifold. You will have to remove the throttle body though, and lower the alternator out of the way by undoing the tensioning arm. I used a ¼” socket set (10mm socket) and a 10mm ratchet spanner on the therstat cap. It’s a bit fiddly but easily done in an hour or so. Before fitting the new thermostat, I used the Sealey VS0044 flush gun to flush the cooling system through (yes, I covered the alternator with a supermarket bag). Disconnect the heater core and Radiator, and flush them out independently.
I needed a new throttle body gasket (13421-69G00 (0.45mm thick), or 0.4mm gasket paper).
I made sure to carefully scrape the mating surfaces of the throttle body and inlet manifold clean with a new Stanley knife blade, and wipe clean with IPA.

I discovered that the front-most of the core plugs on the passenger side of the engine block can be replaced without removing the exhaust manifold off, the other cannot. I removed the exhaust cover and soaked the exhaust manifold nuts with a penetrating oil of my choice for as many days a possible, and used gas burner / heat source on the nuts (and the core plug) to avoid the major disappointment of snapping something.

While changing oils, (transfer box, gearbox, and diffs) I discovered that the properties of NAPA 75W-90 FS oil are close enough to suit my needs, as I don’t do anything too extreme. 6 Litres is just enough to complete the job and leave a dribble for spare. I could not get my new Silverlide metal suction syringe to behave properly so used a filler bottle with plastic hose. Next time I’ll get one with the internal hose that goes to the bottom of the bottle, so I don’t have to tilt the bottle while squeezing it. Could probably cobble one together in time for the next change (30,000 miles).

And lastly... for now.
I will never again buy a compressor from SGS Engineering. That was a disaster from start to finish. Took a week to to deliver a" next day delivery" order and the people I spoke to could find out what was going on. Literally told me they could ONLY contact their Tracking Team using an internal messaging system, and could not phone them at all.

I hope my experiences help someone to get back on the road in short order.

As an aside, I have also seen a seen a Yourtube video of a young guy doing “MY FIRST EVER CLUTCH CHANGE ON THE SUZUKI JIMNY!”
Seems like a breeze if you can get the Jimny about 500mm off the ground, and have an alignment tool.

I also changed the water pump.
While the original one was sealed with sealant, the new one was supplied with a paper gasket (0.7mm thick)
Very straight-forward, especially if the radiator is removed.
Slacken alternator belt (12mm).
Remove coupling (and fan) from water pump (10mm).
Unbolt water pump (12mm).
Carefully scrape and clean the water pump mounting surface (Stanley knife blade and IPA).
Remove the M6 studs from the coupling mounting plate on the water pump (heat, long-nose pliers).

Fit new parts in reverse order.

Happy 4x4ing
Last edit: 13 May 2022 06:54 by Alastair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds