BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Crankshaft sensor

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2010 07:49 #4536 by Adamski
Crankshaft sensor was created by Adamski
I discovered an issue with my jimny and having read up on various forums I suspect that my crankshaft sensor needs replacing. can anyone tell me if this is a dealership only part and how much I should expect to pay?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2010 11:56 #4538 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Crankshaft sensor
How do you know it is faulty?
You might not even have one, AFAIK only the Spanish built convertibles have one, you don't say which car and engine you have.

The twin cam engine has just the cam sensor, that can be changed very easily it: is at the top front of the engine, right hand side as you face the engine.

You need the fault codes read unless you like gambling with quite a lot of money.

A sensor fault is usually poor running: the engine light comes on on the motorway/stalling when hot, cooling the sensor will allow an immediate restart.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2010 12:56 #4539 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re:Crankshaft sensor
facade wrote:

A sensor fault is usually poor running: the engine light comes on on the motorway/stalling when hot, cooling the sensor will allow an immediate restart.

that is exactly the fault I have. I think you maybe right about it being the cam sensor if that's the sensor at the front. I think I must have got mixed up and thought that was the Crankshaft sensor. I have a 2002 hardtop jimny special with twin cam. and idea how much a cam sensor will set me back?

thanks,

Adam

• Top Rope Terry
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2010 14:48 #4542 by Top Rope Terry
Replied by Top Rope Terry on topic Re:Crankshaft sensor
hi well my crankshaft sensor cost round the 60 pound mark don't know if there same but might be a little guide price for ya

More
05 Sep 2010 15:47 - 05 Sep 2010 15:49 #4543 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Crankshaft sensor
Its easy to get mixed up as it differs between the engine types and you need to establish which engine you have.

The first engine below is the single overhead cam G13BB engine, fitted to all Jimnys prior to 2001 and to Spanish softop Jimnys as late as 2004. AS you can see it if only fitted with a Camshaft Position Sensor (Number 7 in the picture)

Press the CONTROL key on your keyboard whilst scrolling the wheel on you mouse to zoom in

From 2001 onwards the Jimnys were fitted with an double overhead camshaft M13AA engine (except Spanish Softtops). These have both a Camshaft Sensor (Number 7) and a Crankshaft Sensor (Number 5). This also applies to the later VVT engine from 2005 onwards.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 05 Sep 2010 15:49 by mlines.

More
05 Sep 2010 16:40 #4544 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Crankshaft sensor
I got them backwards :blush:

You likely have both sensors, you need to find out which one to change. If the engine stops altogether, likely it is the cam sensor.
If the crank sensor goes the engine light comes on and it runs in limp home mode.

You can buy an OBD2 fault code reader from eBay for about £20 that will work on a 2002, allow you to find which sensor is faulty and clear the error code.

The reader will work on most petrol cars from 2003, but the Jimny complied with OBD2 in 2000 (Japanese built).

There are cam sensors on eBay for about £35.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2010 19:54 #4548 by Adamski
facade wrote:

I got them backwards :blush:

You likely have both sensors, you need to find out which one to change. If the engine stops altogether, likely it is the cam sensor.
If the crank sensor goes the engine light comes on and it runs in limp home mode.

You can buy an OBD2 fault code reader from eBay for about £20 that will work on a 2002, allow you to find which sensor is faulty and clear the error code.

The reader will work on most petrol cars from 2003, but the Jimny complied with OBD2 in 2000 (Japanese built).

There are cam sensors on eBay for about £35.

ahh in that case I do think it is the Crankshaft sensor which has gone. is that the sensor at the front of the engine? my symptoms are when it gets hot (after being stuck in a traffic jam) the rev needle started to bounce all over and the engine management light flashes on and off killing the power. if I turn it off and straight on it still happens, if I let it cool for 5 minutes the car runs fine again.

More
06 Sep 2010 03:21 #4549 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Crankshaft sensor
It has been widely suggested that if you carry some water with you then when it happens again pour water on each sensor in turn. When the car starts to run fine again then you have found the faulty sensor.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2010 18:30 #4558 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re:Crankshaft sensor
I had the sensors go on mine last year - its a 52 plate special the same as your Adamski (but in black). I changed both sensors and it cost just over a £100 quid for both from the main dealer. I thought it best to do both in one hit.

The one at the front of the engine is easy to get to, but the one near the alternator was a bit of a pig. I used a large breaker bar to lever the alternator sideways after id slackened the bolts and then used 3 extension bars (foot long) on the end of the rachet to undo the nut. Took a little over 1 hour to do both with minimal tools.

More
07 Sep 2010 10:10 #4559 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Crankshaft sensor
same here ...

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Sep 2010 09:33 #4589 by Adamski
I think I've identified the faulty sensor to be the camshaft sensor using the old water technique to cool the sensors till the problem goes away. I've ordered a new sensor from Suzuki at a cost of £62 and it will arrive on Tuesday. Fingers crossed that this fixes the problem!

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2010 12:09 #4911 by Adamski
Adamski wrote:

I think I've identified the faulty sensor to be the camshaft sensor using the old water technique to cool the sensors till the problem goes away. I've ordered a new sensor from Suzuki at a cost of £62 and it will arrive on Tuesday. Fingers crossed that this fixes the problem!

And so it continues :( ....

I have replaced the Camshaft Sensor and still have exactly the same problem. Does this point towards the Crankshaft Sensor being faulty? or could I have bought a knackered camshaft sensor from the dealer (a long shot I know but just want to be certain). Im getting sick of this problem so if a new Crankshaft Sensor is required I will just fit one, then both sensors have been changed and will have to hope for the best.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :).

Adam

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds