BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

More Bearings....

• P.Y.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2010 18:48 #4078 by P.Y.
Replied by P.Y. on topic Re:More Bearings....
Try a really good bearing grease - high melting point, EP, waterproof - and not all grease is waterproof.
Maxima (google it) is about six quid a tin and is favoured by the off-road bikers, and Amsoil, inventors of the first synthetic oil, do two good greases, a Racing grease being top quality and their red grease is fine in bearings - grease is not just sticky stuff that is all the same.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2010 18:56 #4081 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:More Bearings....
I'm afraid I've not done the rear disc conversion yet but Martin has and did have a How To guide on here for it. You can get the bits from www.Muddyzook.com and this is where I got mine.

All my rear disc conversion bits are sat on the bench in my workshop!

I have only seen one picture of the KAM rear shafts and can't remember where it was, might have been on here in the photo's section!

In respect of grease, I have had Lucas Oils Heavy Duty Bearing grease recommended to me by a Challenge Competitor who recons it makes his bearing last twice as long on his Competition LR90.

It is a waterproof bearing grease much like the others mentioned by others on here and sells on eby from about £3.50 depending on who you get it from, but you can get it for a fiver inc P+P.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• P.Y.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2010 20:51 #4090 by P.Y.
Ah, but,,,,you get what you pay for, it is probably NOT fully synthetic, and, is it high melting point. The Maxima waterproof grease is about as high a melting point as the full out circuit-racers competition grease.

You are right in suggesting that the grease can make a real difference here.

There is good, there is very good, and there is the best.

More
06 Aug 2010 17:21 #4115 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re:More Bearings....
Forgive me here.
Having just done my second rear bearing whats everyones suggestion for re greasing as its a sealed bearing?
Mine have covered 57k+ road miles with a fair bit of off road on inluded since i've owned the car (and it gets a good dunking off road) so i can shoulder this replacement but would like to prolong the life of them in the future. The bearing i just cut off was bone dry and in generally poor shape.

Give me the benefit of your knowledge people!

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• P.Y.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2010 19:07 #4119 by P.Y.
All Im saying is that if you want a good bearing grease, no, if you want the best, then it has to be fully synthtic, high melting point, and waterproof. Google Maxima grease, or, google waterproof grease.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds