BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Flashing 4WD light

More
11 Jul 2010 12:44 #3781 by ooky_123
Flashing 4WD light was created by ooky_123
As were running road Tyres through the summer, we've not really used 4WD since the weather broke, but today, whilst ascending a moderate grass bank, it was necessary to use 4Low just to ensure traction.
After crossing the obstacle, and dropping out of 4wd, we we experienced what I would describe as the sound of a worn CV joint "click, click, click" whilst turning.
Stopped, straightened the wheels and reversed about 3 fr and upon going forward, the sound wasn't there.
After returning to the Tarmac, and just checking the selector was working, the 4WD light would not illinate, and after about 39 seconds, started to flash.
Further testing reviled it will go into 4WD if you reverse and then go forward, but selecting 4WD on the fly doesn't seem to work.
Havnt had the time to investigate further, but I'm suspecting the hubs are not locking.
Am i right ?
What's the chances of stripping & cleaning them to make them work again ?
Alternatives ?
Worth while just locking them perminantly ?

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2010 16:14 #3782 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Flashing 4WD light
The light flashes to tell you that it can't produce a vacuum in the pipes, so the hub isn't locking.

Check all the pipes for cracks first, especially the rubber pipes from hub to axle. Then check over the rusty pipes that run along the lower arm on the drivers side.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
11 Jul 2010 17:53 #3784 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Flashing 4WD light
Yep, something is not vacuuming enough, sounds like it is nearly engaging but not quite. As stated above check all the pipework etc, clean and grease the hubs. Or locate some SJ manual hubs and use my adaptors.

Permanently locking them reduces your "get me home" options when other failures such as CV joints occurs.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
13 Jul 2010 05:24 #3790 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Flashing 4WD light
Spent a bit of time last night checking a few things.

Removed the hubs and cleaned the insides.. some water and mucky oil, but they worked fine, so just re-greased and refitted.
The pipework to the hubs seems fine too.

I think the problem is around the actuators / vacuum pipework. The little foam filters were completely shot and full of mud, and generally wiggling / fumbling, locked the hubs, but im not exactly sure what was wiggled !!..

I think Im goign to replace the solenoids and pipework because some has perrished.

I dont suppose anyone that has gone the manual Hub route has the rubberpipework and solenoids spare they wouldnt mind parting with in exchange for some Beer Tokens ?

failing that, im off to get a price for new from suzuki.

I think Ill start there, and see how it goes.

More
14 Jul 2010 18:49 #3804 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Flashing 4WD light
I've gone the manual hub route but left the pipework in place to prevent water ingress into the hubs from where they would attach if they weren't there.

I would just go the manual hub route for simplicity in the future.

Then it doesn't matter what the vacuum does or doesn't do and they are pretty much maintenance free if you seal them up right to stop water ingress into them.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
14 Jul 2010 20:31 #3805 by ooky_123
right, dont suppose anyone knows of a set of freewheeling hubs for sale ?

More
14 Jul 2010 21:03 #3806 by kirkynut
Their not the easiest thing to find it appears at the moment. Nothing on ebay. Have you looked on Difflock and Suzuki Club UK for sale section?

A friend of mine had a spare set before he went to the dark side and bought a - no I can't bring my self to type the two words but it has a green oval!

I've just text him to see if he still has them - that will please him if he's left his phone on next to his bed as I've just realised it's midnight!

I'll let you know his reply if it's polite!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
15 Jul 2010 10:52 #3828 by ooky_123
Brilliant, thanks.

Ill post on difflock too

More
15 Jul 2010 19:57 #3843 by kirkynut
He replied this morning and it was polite so he couldn't have had his phone by his bed - phew!

He sold them on difflock a while back - sorry.

Kirkynut

More
15 Jul 2010 21:09 #3844 by ooky_123
CHeers for trying .. Have found a pair, going to cost me £40 plus postage. Im happy with that ... now to prder an adapter kit off Martin :)

More
19 Jul 2010 15:09 #3878 by kirkynut
That's about the right money, glad you got some now, will save a whole load of bother!

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds