BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

still smokin' on start up

• bryandenham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jul 2010 18:04 #3756 by bryandenham
still smokin' on start up was created by bryandenham
Hi again,
Still smoking on first start up of the day. No other time. Breather working correctly , right level of oil, good compressions, tappets correct, timing spot on.

Just a cloud of oil smoke then clear for the rest of the day.

16 valve, single cam.

Most of the advice so far is, 'so ! just leave it'.

Any ideas folks? I don't think its valve guide oil seals 'cos that would smoke all the time.

Thanks BryanD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2010 21:14 #3759 by auchenblae
Our first Jimny was purchase new March 1999 and sold 99,000 miles later in September 2007. The single cam engine as your car is.

For the last year of our ownership from 87k to 99k it had the same feature as your car. Reason, I reckon is that the valve seals were not 100% and over night ie 14 hours the oil was making it's way down the valve stems and into the combustion chambers.

If it annoys you take the head off and have them replaced. You seem to be worried and there is no good reason to be worried when it will only cost say £400 at a garage to get rid of the problem and you can sleep at night.

If you can do it yourself it should take a weekend to do it.

I would not worry about it but I could be wrong.

eddie

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
09 Jul 2010 18:00 #3763 by kirkynut
I would not worry about it unless it uses alot of oil.

As has been said, it's probably the valve stem seals gone a bit hard and not dealing as well, letting a little through overnight.

I bet it won't worry the MOT man as the car will be warm for then, so if it doesn't bother him and it isn't using copious amounts of oil, don't worry!!!

You should have seen my old SJ410 before I had the engine rebuilt and that was with new valve stem seals as the oil scraper rings had gone - that was still going strong! I wish I hadn't had the engine rebuilt now!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• bryandenham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2010 12:19 #3769 by bryandenham
Replied by bryandenham on topic Re:still smokin' on start up
thanks for your comments folks, however I'm still not completely convinced its stem seals 'cos in my experience it smokes all the time if its stem seals. Anyway i'll likely leave it for now and continue to show all those other unmentionable 4x4s how to off road.

Hey Kirkynut, we DON'T have mots over here!! However, we DO have roadside spotchecks, so the vehicle has to be right ALL the time, still, as you say, the vehicle is warm then so all should be tickety boo!!

Thanks guys, catch y'all later.

Bry D.

Kumhos and a 2" lift with caster angle compensated, (without expensive bushes!!!)+ no anti roll bar.

• bryandenham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2010 12:16 #3780 by bryandenham
Replied by bryandenham on topic Re:still smokin' on start up
tried a bottle of millers oils 'stop leak' and hey presto seems to have done the trick. It apparently rejuvenates synthetic seals by chemical action so maybe it was the stem seals.
Anyway, many thanks, keep on truckin'. Bry D

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds