BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rock Sliders

More
17 Feb 2009 18:46 #375 by kirkynut
Rock Sliders was created by kirkynut
Hello All,

I'm starting to get things together to have my Jimny ready for a trip to the Lakes and some hardcore greenlaning with plenty of rocks involved!!!

As such I need some Rock Sliders and could do with some advice.

I am looking at getting some ready made up ones from Darren at KAP and he has told me that they are the same as the sliders that make up that part of his cages. I can see a few of you have cages and suspect they may have come from KAP, I kno your vehicle has some KAP bits on it Martin.

Can anyone tell me how they are welded onto the chassis - I know with a welder obviously, but are they just butted onto the chassis or do they have triangular sections to brace it too etc... I also appreciate that it depends on the quality of the welding, but assuming it's of top quality, how strong are they?

Cheers for any help y'all can offer.

Kirky

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2009 21:08 #376 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Rock Sliders
Mine is a KAP roll cage and yes, it is clear that the lower bars of the Roll Cage form a Rockslider.

On my Jimny they are simply box section.

A long piece of box section forms the slider and then shorter peices of box section go back to the chassis rails. These short supports have a flat plate welded on the end which is then pushed flat against the side of the chassis rail and welded.

Mine are pretty strong, however I understand that KAP uses 2 support arms as standard, one at each end. The previous owner added a 3rd central support arm to help stiffen it up.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
18 Feb 2009 13:48 #377 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Rock Sliders
Martin,

Thanks for that, I wondered if they would have liek a spreader plate welded tothe end that then welds to the chassis and from what youhave said they do. I should think they are ok with just the 2 pieces of box section when being used just as sliders and can understand why someone has added the third for the cage on yours.

I shall order some up from Darren in the next few weeks then and get a good local welder to weld them on as I've never welded before and have no kit.

I'm having a new clutch fitted as we speak and decided to let my local trustworthy garage do it for a couple of hundred plus the dreaded and the clutch after reading your write up on doing the job and seeing the access to the starter etc!!! It's also too cold to be changing clutches in a damp cold lock up!!! - I'm not as enthusiastic (stupid) as I used to be - there was a time when I'd lay old carpet over the snow to be able to roll about under my projects - they are gone with my boyracer days though.

With the clutch, the sliders, all my TBR protection plates, the KAP 3 inch lift and the 215/15 MT's along with something on the roof to mount waffle boards we'll be all set for our next adventure in the Lakes and the first in the Jimny. We'll be going at the end of April and I will have many pictures for you then.

Thanks again

Kirky the waffler

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
19 Feb 2009 20:06 #378 by mlines
Here are some pictures.

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
22 Feb 2009 15:54 #382 by kirkynut
They look strong enough, thanks for that.

I might take up a friend's suggestion and get some tree sliders welded onto them outside of them too - just in case!!!

Kirky

More
13 Jul 2009 19:30 #993 by Baz2236
Replied by Baz2236 on topic Re:Rock Sliders
Sorry to bring up an old thread, I am lookin at them Sliders from KAP how far do they stick out and how close are they to the seal I dont have the plastic bit of trim and the bottom of the door so wondered if they will sit close to the seal.

Thanks,
Baz

More
14 Jul 2009 06:25 #994 by mlines
I would assume that the Rocksliders are similar to the roll cage that I have. Mine has had the plastic bits removed and they stick out a reasonable way, they are the "furthest" out part of the apart from the wing mirrors. They are clear of the door seals

Martin

Martin

More
14 Jul 2009 14:06 #996 by Baz2236
Replied by Baz2236 on topic Re:Rock Sliders
Hi could you put some pics up of your sliders so I can see how far they stick out.

More
14 Jul 2009 15:31 #999 by mlines

Martin

More
15 Jul 2009 09:23 #1004 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Rock Sliders
Not rock sliders as such, but we fitted stainless side steps for the same reason, they stick out past all the bodywork and in the event of a side impact, will take the impact instead of the bodywork.

Also works when people open their car door into the Jimny in carparks.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
16 Jul 2009 10:18 #1014 by kirkynut
I would be careful of the stainless steel side steps as they are only made of thin tubing and will bend intot he car and possibly cause undue damage.

Speak to darren at KAP as i know he is in the final stages if not finished getting his own bolt on rock sliers into production as I made enquiries before we went to the Lakes in April and that is what he told me then. He wasn't able to get them done before I needed them for the trip so I got a fabricator in my Club to do mine for a very reasonable price.

Mine are weld on now, this allows me to incorporate them in a cage in the future, wheras bolt on ones might not be suitable for that. Darren will sort you out though, albeit possibly at a price.

Bolt on ones are notoriously difficult on a Jimny because of the way the chassis rises at the back.

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds