BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Play in the rear wheel bearing

• kenway
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2010 15:03 #3722 by kenway
Play in the rear wheel bearing was created by kenway
Hi, I'm new to the bigjimny forum and have a question about my rear wheel bearing. I was checking my rear brakes and there's a 1-2 mil play but no side-to-side. Just wondering if you think I should put a new wheel bearing in or is this ok? Cheers, Adam :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2010 12:06 #3724 by mlines
Do you mean "end float" i.e. you can pull the shaft in and out by a couple of mil. If so I think this is normal as mine do the same and they were like it when I changed the wheel bearings.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
07 Jul 2010 12:05 #3739 by kirkynut
I gave my Jimny a thorough look over before we went to the Lakes this May and felt what at first I thought was play in my rear wheel bearings - so I bought some new Koyo bearings, just like Suzuki use. I bought one locally and another at 2/3 the price from the BigJimny shop.

I then wedged my fingers inside the bearings to see what play a new bearing has and guess what, it has a bit of play, which I reckoned once amplified through to the outside of the wheel and tyre wuld equate to what I was feeling on the car.

We then did 1500 miles, of which alot was rockcrawling and no bother and no more play. I checked they weren't getting too hot also and they are fine.

It just so happens that when I fot my rear disc conversion I'll be renewing them anyway, but hey ho!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• kenway
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2010 18:57 #3764 by kenway
Replied by kenway on topic Re:Play in the rear wheel bearing
Cheers, thanks for the advice. Sorry I haven't replied earlier, thats what I thought but you never know. going to have to post some pics up of my jimny soon!

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds