BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Dash showing engine temp is realy hot! NOW SOLVED!

More
19 Nov 2011 19:50 #26127 by kirkynut

jo king wrote: I may be able to help you with this Process of elimination
Ok this is what to do :blink: First you can check your thermostat by removing it from your car and putting it into a pan and then pour boiling water from a kettle on to it. If it does not do anything then Its buggered ;) if you see it pop or move then its fine and you can put it back in B) The thermostat activates at around 83 degrees so boiling water will trigger it.
You may have an air lock in your cooling system.. seek advice as to how to get the air out...
Answer these questions
1 Are you losing water only slighty
2 And can you see tiny dots in your oil on your dip stick.

You're suspecting a blown head gasket - trouble is, if the head gasket has gone it could be as a result of the engine getting too hot and the head warping. You could fix it and it will happen again as you did not find why it happened.

I would say one step at a time, let's resolve the overheating issue, then IF the head gasket has failed - which will become evident in time, that can be fixed. At the moment I wouldn't get worried about things like that unless you are losing coolant or there is evidence of oil in the coolant (specs of it on the top of the coolant when looking in the radiator with the cap off on a cold engine only!) or coolant in the oil (mayo like substance in the oil filler cap / on the dip stick).

If you take the Thermostat out you'll need a new gasket to put it back in, at which point you may aswell be replacing it as they cost little and come with a new gasket.

Lock the fan up, see if the problem disappears. If it does you could either buy a new fan (or second hand one from CAM Suzuki on ebay) or leave it locked. Martin runs his locked I believe but it isn't run daily. You could also look to go electric fan but that's a faff.

If locking the fan up does not solve the issue then you'll have to move onto the next thing - which we all seem to agree is the thermostat. I doubt there is an air lock if the system has not been distrurbed - unless of course the air is from the exhaust due to a blown head gasket but as I have said - a blown head gasket would likely be as a result of over heating, not the cause of overheating.

Or as I've said, just replace the thermostat anyway as it ensures you have fresh coolant for the winter but still look at the fan checking as other have suggested and if not obviously knackered locking it up.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Nov 2011 20:10 - 19 Nov 2011 20:21 #26131 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
Good advice Kirkynut :) I think its the thermostat myself. I forgot about the gasket. :pinch: Also my advice was in conjunction with the fan all ready been tied and tried. It will be interesting to find out the problem. I had a head go and had no warning until it went that was on an sj.
I think Kirkynut is wise and the best bet ;)
Last edit: 19 Nov 2011 20:21 by jo king.

More
19 Nov 2011 20:23 #26132 by facade

Nobby22 wrote: Thanks again guys

I have just put fresh coolant in do you think if i drained it, to fit a new thermostat, i could re-use it? Or is it best to put new in again. Its only been in a week or so.

Certainly, collect it in a clean bowl, cover it to stop dirt getting in (you won't believe how much grit gets in an uncovered bowl) and put it back.

A word of warning: antifreeze is sweet smelling and really yummy to animals and children, but it is very poisonous, make sure that animals and children cant get at containers or spilled puddles.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Nov 2011 20:37 - 19 Nov 2011 20:38 #26134 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
Very wise and considerate Nice one Facade ;) B)
Last edit: 19 Nov 2011 20:38 by jo king.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2011 10:09 #26158 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
Thanks guys

Now am i being realy thick but i carnt work out how you cable tie the viscous fan up :blush: .
Now you guys have mentioned it i dont think it does start with that "roar" sound. My old Grand Vitara did and you can certainly hear it.

Nobby

• teafortwo0789
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2011 16:05 #26174 by teafortwo0789
Replied by teafortwo0789 on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
I don't think you're thick, well no thicker than I am. I was also wondering how to cable tie the fan up. A quick photo would help.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2011 18:13 #26191 by Nobby22

teafortwo0789 wrote: I don't think you're thick, well no thicker than I am. I was also wondering how to cable tie the fan up. A quick photo would help.

It would indeed! Also where abouts is the thermostat? I could probably find it eventualy but it would be good to be certain. Iam going to get a new one tommorow. They dont seem that expensive so i better get one just in case it is shot and i carnt put it back together :laugh: .

Nobby

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2011 18:25 #26193 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
Thermostat, on the M13A motor.
Off side under the inlet manifold towards the front.
If that helps?

:)

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2011 18:37 #26196 by Nobby22

Keefe wrote: Thermostat, on the M13A motor.
Off side under the inlet manifold towards the front.
If that helps?

Iam sure it will, thanks. I did have a quick look today and i thought i would be some where around there. Is it on the end of the pipe comming out the bottom of the radiator, off side?
I could be completely wrong :blush:

Nobby

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2011 20:39 - 20 Nov 2011 20:50 #26212 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
Yes, that pipe leads up to it.

You have a PM.... ;)
Last edit: 20 Nov 2011 20:50 by Keefe.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2011 09:25 #26612 by Nobby22
Well..... I have had a look and the bloody thing is right under the intake manifold :angry: . If it was a weekend toy i would probably have a go at takeing it all apart but i carnt risk me not being able to put it back together :unsure: . Theres no way i can get to it any other way. Looks like another trip to the garage.... again :angry:

Nobby

More
26 Nov 2011 12:37 #26623 by kirkynut
Do you have the single or twin cam engine mate?

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds