BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Dash showing engine temp is realy hot! NOW SOLVED!

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2011 22:45 - 04 Feb 2012 08:53 #25643 by Nobby22
Hi all

Did a spot of greenlaning today and after a long slow trundle along a lane i noticed the engine temp gage was maxed out. I assumed it was the slow speed i was going as when i sped up again on the normal roads it began to drop. My thinking was by not having fast mowing air going over the rad for a long time it had heated up. However after a while it went back up and then down then back up and so on. Going right to the top of the gage then dropping slightly (not to where it should be). I had plenty of water in the expansion tank and it didnt seem any hotter than useual. Any ideas what it could be? I hope its a faulty thermostat or something rather than the engine itself. Any advice welcome

Nobby
Last edit: 04 Feb 2012 08:53 by Nobby22.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2011 23:06 #25645 by supergaz
Faulty engine temp sensor? Always worth changing a thermostat as a precaution.

• v8dougie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2011 23:40 #25647 by v8dougie
Replied by v8dougie on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
Water can do funny things to electrics if you have been through some, so could resolve itself or have damaged the switch as Supergaz mentioned. Also going through water can muck up the radiator causing it not to cool effectively.

Another thought might be the viscous fan has given up the ghost, causing it not to lock up and spin as fast as it should.

I would start with draining and flushing the cooling system, and at the same time taking the rad off and pressure washing from the engine side to the bumper side to try and remove any debris. At the same time check the thermostat is still operating correctly.

Not sure about how to check the temperature sender other than substitution, sorry!

HTH

• Sandez
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 00:40 #25649 by Sandez
Replied by Sandez on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
To check the water temp sensor, you would have to remove it, place it in a pot of water and start to boil it, having a thermometer with it to watch the temperature. Then using a multimeter check the resistance at the different temperatures (outlined in the manual). Before I replaced mine, it showed an error code on the dash while doing a diagnostic (not sure if it was also causing the engine light to come on as I had another issue which caused that for me).

I would replace the thermostat first just to be sure. While doing that, as dougie said, flush the cooling system and radiator. Even if the radiator (and reservoir) shows there is sufficient amount of coolant, there could be a pocket of air somewhere causing the issue. Also check the fan is working

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 01:23 #25650 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
I note you had plenty of water in the expansion tank but you haven't mentioned if there was water in the radiator? Sometimes, through vapour-lock or small holes in tubing, the water doesn't flow back into the radiator so you can have little or no water in radiator but still have water in expansion bowl.

Also, are your belts adjusted properly and not slipping? Does the fan spin when engine is running? Or do you have thermofan that requires triggering by sensor to operate? High temp could also indicate thermostat not operating properly.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 08:43 #25651 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
Thanks for the advice guys. I didnt check the radiator, didnt want to be scalded if the water was indeed that hot, will check that today. I think i will flush the coolant out. I have cleaned out a radiotor before because of over heating, i was a sit on mower at work, :laugh: almost completely packed full of grass. Worked great after so will look into this as well. I will be surprised if it is clogged up as i hasnt done much off roading yet but will have a look. Is the temp sensor easy to get to and change? As for the fan i have heard no slipping at all and seems to be running fine.
One thing, i use it mostly for short trips to work and back. Could doing this for a while then going on a long slow trip have caused this? Propably not but its only just started since doing that lane. I will run it today and see if it dose it again.

Thanks again

Nobby

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 09:50 #25653 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
what ive done before is once my temp started rising, turn your heaters to full heat and max speed, and see if the temp goes down, if it does you know something could be causing it to heat up, mine this time was a sticky calliper

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 11:19 #25656 by Nobby22
I will give that a go BlueJimny, thanks. I checked the radiator and it was full of coolant and was also clear from debris and mud etc. The coolant however looked like it had be taken from a muddy puddle! Clearly hadnt been changed in a while. So i drained it and put some fresh in. I will give it a good run this afternoon and see what happens.

Nobby

• rjd1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 12:02 #25657 by rjd1
the viscous fan is mostly at fault in the one`s we have had bother with

bit of a cheat and simple fix is to cabletie it to the metal casing that rotates with it you no it`s workin then it sound`s like a mini v8

hope this help`s

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 14:09 #25659 by Nobby22
BlueJimny i did what you said and it did drop. How do you know that its something causing it to heat up by doing this? I have tried to work out why but i carnt :blush: . I also didnt realise what a viscous drive was until rjd1 mentioned it :laugh: . I just thought it was a fan. Could it be this thats causing the problem?

Thanks

Nobby

• Az1987
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 14:17 #25660 by Az1987
Replied by Az1987 on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
As already said sounds like its the thermostat sticking I would change that befor doing anything else.

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 14:19 #25661 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
thats th problem trying to find the problem, sticky calipers are easy, the disc / wheel will be hot, viscus fan could be playing up?

but the first time it happended to me it was my head gasket :angry: :angry:

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds