BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny and SJ wheel offsets

More
31 Oct 2008 18:05 #236 by kirkynut
Dear Big Jimny People,

I have made a decision as to whether or not to buy a Jimny to replace our SJ410 for the purposes of greenlaning and I'm pleased to say that we will hopefully be looking at an early non ABS equipped model on Monday, having heeded some of the advice given by Martin in my last post - thank you Martin.

My question is: I have a set of spare SJ commercial rims in good condition and was thinking of using them for a set of MT's for our new purchase. I know that these have the same 5.5J width but are they the same offset?

I shall be lifting our new Jimny when we get one, probably using a KAP 3" lift, so it doesn't matter if the offset will cause them to poke out a little, as long as they will have good clearance of the brake callipers and suspension components.

Obviously a little offset out of the cr will be good for stability, especially as I do not plan on using wheel spacers in an effort to reduce wheel bearing wear. Rhino Ray has advised me that they are not strictly necessary on a Jimny - Do you agree?

It's not the end of the world if they can't be used as I'm sure second hand Jimny steels are not expensive, but it would be one less expense if they can be used.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rob

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2008 22:17 #237 by mlines
I don't know whether the offset is the same or not, but the general fitment is so you can fit SJ, Vitara and Grand Vitara rims to a Jimny and many people do just that.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
01 Nov 2008 06:21 #238 by kirkynut
I'm sure they'll be OK, I'll have to trial fit them without tyres on before i buy tyres just to be sure they clear the brakes etc but I think they'll be OK.

Cheers

Rob

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds