BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

M/T's on s standard Jimny and other Q's

More
16 Oct 2008 15:29 #221 by kirkynut
Dear All,

I am new to this forum having been running an SJ until now. It's blown it's head gasket and is indicating it's not wanting to do the long distances on the road and then hardcore off roading and then driving home again!

So I am considering getting another Jimny and using that instead.

I had one before and found it no good as standard for what we wanted to do as it was grounding out on the radius arms in ruts with 205/70/15's on it.

I was told that you caould not put M/T's on a standard Jimny without lifting it and didn't want to spend the money on it at that time so sold it.

Now the SJ has died I am having to re-consider.

Rhino-Ray has told me that I can use 195/80/15 M/T's on a standard Jimny with no problems.

To test this theory, today I took the wheels off our SJ with 195/80/15 Colway M/T's on them and out them on my partner's mum's Jimny.

Ground clearance was greatly imrpoved as the diameter of these is about 1.5 - 2 inches larger, but the clearance of the tyres in the wheelarches look too tight and I felt that the arches would get could and ripped apart.

Please can you tell me the deal with this please folks?

Can a standard Jimny run 195/80/15 M/T's with no arch trimming or not?

Also.... How strong are the halfshalfs on Jimny's? Do they snap when treated roughly or are they as strong as out SJ's?

Also.... Do early - ie:the cheapest to buy Jimny's have ABS?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rob

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2008 16:12 #222 by mlines
Well the standard tyres on a Jimny are 205/70/R15.

70% x 205 = 153mm or 6 inches.

6 inches + 6 inches + 15 inches = 27 inches - therefore the diameter of the standard tyres is 27 inches.

Your new tyres are 195/80/15

80% x 195 = 156mm or 6.1 inches

6.1 + 6.1 + 15 = 27.2 inches

So, as RhinoRay says you should be able to use the tyres with no problem as there is hardly any size difference.

However, tread pattern and size makes a difference, perhaps your old tyres are worn and the newer tyres are newer. Perhaps its a particularly chunky tread that is causing the problems.

The other issue could be rim offset. I don't know what rims your Colways are on, but if the offset is more offset to the outside of the car (I cannot remember whether this is positive or negative offset?) then perhaps this will cause them to rub?

Some people claim that the Jimny is weaker than an SJ in the shafts/bearings area. My Jimny certainly gets through bearings like they are going out of fashion but I have yet to trash a CV joint on the halfshaft which is a symptom of running very large tyres and having a heavy right foot. I have never heard of anyone snapping a halfshaft as the CV joint goes first!. I have bent a rear halfshaft somehow. So I would say it was no real difference to my SJ410 in terms of needing continuous transmission maintenance, but note mine was a Spanish SJ410, not an SJ413.

ABS was an option on the earliest cars and standard on the latest. The problem with Jimny ABS off-road is not that its dangerous, but the ABS Coding wheels are fitted to the shafts and need to be smashed off to change the wheel bearings and as I said above, wheel bearing changing is a Jimny owners weekend hobby. Therefore on an ABS Jimny every wheel bearing change needs a new ABS coding ring - doubling the cost of the materials.

And, of course, send me pictures of anything you do!

Thanks

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
16 Oct 2008 19:30 #223 by kirkynut
Thanks for your quick response!

I had done the same maths as you and was therefore suprised at what I saw when I put the 195/80/15's on the Jimny as they should be 10mm slimmer but when laid out on the floor next to the 205/70/15, they simply weren't. Then factor in that they were, with the M/T tread about 1.5 inches larger in diameter, they were a great deal larger than I thought.

The tyres on the Jimny at the moment are the standard Suzuki issue Bridgestone Dueller road tyres and the M/T's , as I say are COLWAY remoulds.

It could be that I am looking at them with too much worry in my mind but I don't think so, they looked too big in the arches without a suspension lift being fitted. I couldn't do any tests to see if they catch as I don't think my partner's Mum would be happy with me ripping off the plastic arches from her 07 plate Jimny!

I thought about offset too. I can't remember which way - or + is either but it doesn't matter as I measured from the centre of the wheel, where it would toch the hub to level withe rim and measured this depth to be about 75mm on both wheels,give or take with my un-steady hand.

As such, I don't think it's a venture I'll be taking on.

I would like a jimny, I really would, but our SJ hasn't needed any new bearings yet and has been through some yucky stuff and done plenty of miles with me at the helm!

Thank you for re-assuring me about the half shafts, seems a shame about the CV's though!

Like I say, I want a Jimny and I want it to do what our SJ does, but it seems like it's a great deal more expensive and time consuming to run than a good old SJ. Shame the good old SJ ain't getting any younger though!

Thanks for all your help in answering my questions.

Rob

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
24 Feb 2009 09:58 #386 by ooky_123
We used to run Collway remounld on our first Jimny no problem. with a 2" lift it was almost unstoppable, but equally with standard springs there was enough clearance for the 195's to turn even on full lock.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
24 Feb 2009 14:42 #388 by kirkynut
I didn't risk it in the end and bought a ready modified Jimny with 215/15 Colway MT's on it already that have most of their life still in them.

When I put my SJ wheels and Colway 195/15 MT's on a standard Jimny they did look a bit tight in the arches but I couldn't experiment with rubbing properly as the standard vehicle was my girlfriends less than a year old jimny and she wouldn't have apprieciated it if it didn't work!!!

It's good to know from someone that has tried it that it does work. I don't think I'd like to run one like that though as even now with a 3" lift and 215/15's my radius arms get caught in ruts. I could get slightly bigger tyres I think but on the whole there's no need and the Colways are doing a good enough job to not justify spending money.

It's a shme Insa turbo Special Tracks don't come in 215/15's though.

Kirkynut

More
24 Feb 2009 14:52 #389 by ooky_123
haha. nice one.
My first Jimny was brand new (delivery mileage only) and had only done about 6,000 miles when we started to offroad her.

My Husband bought all the shiney stuff from Formula 4x4 in Stafford because he was workign in Liverpool and travelling twice a week.
the tyres were essential, and were soon followed by a 2" lift from KAP.
Driving with the Collway MT's was interesting but they did over 20,000 miles in the end by the time I cane to sell it.

We have just bought a set of Jimny wheels for £10 .. need to collect from Luton, and they will be shod with some Insa Dakar 195/15's.

Im trying to post some PIctures of the Jimny with the tyres / lift kit but Sky is playing up today.

More
24 Feb 2009 15:33 #392 by kirkynut
If you have a set of tyres for normal road use, why not buy slightly larger 215/15 tyres for off road use?

You will find that your vehicle will still travel at a respectable speed - mine still does 70 mph and gets tere with no issues what so ever. The advantage is not getting stuck so often when your radius arms touch down in the middle of ruts, both on green lanes and on pay and play sites.

Insa Turbo do the Sahara in a 215/80/15 which is a bit more of an aggressive tread without getting silly - I mean I'd quite like some Insa Turbo Special Tracks as the grip they seem to be giving our friend's SJ compares to their old Recip Trials is out of this world - but are better of on an off road site really, although they use their on the road with no drama.

Otherwise - Recip Trials are a good choice but hey are getting a little more expensive now they've established themselves.

Decisions decisins...

Kirkynut

More
24 Feb 2009 16:08 #393 by ooky_123
The new Jimny has 205 road tyres on alloy wheels fitted, but in the past we found that the old collways in 195/15 with the 2" lift and 30mm Scorpian spacers gave it all we needed and wouldnt foul the inner arches.

Do you know if a 215 will fit the standard Jimny steel wheels ? How about on full lock or fully compressed suspension .. ie the extremes ?

More
24 Feb 2009 16:15 #394 by mlines
This forum does not handle pictures very well so if you are having problems then email the pictures to me and I will sort,

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
24 Feb 2009 17:33 #395 by kirkynut
Yes, a 215 will fit standard Jimny wheels and they are ideal for it if they are steel as they are less likely to get damaged beyond repair with a big hammer.

My spare is on a standard steel wheel and in some ways I wish all my wheels were steel, I have 4 alloys and a steel spare. Perhaps when these tyres wear out I'll consider selling the alloys and buying a second hand set of steels as I'm not worried about the showy side of the alloys too much. They do look nice though.

You'll not have any clearance troubles with 215/80/15's at all on a lifted Jimny. Mine is lifted 3 inches and I still have the plastic mud guards in place which I wanted to prevent mud getting in the hole inside the front wings. I don't see why I would be any different with a 2 inch lift and I believe from this forum that there are many people with 2 inch lifts successfully running this size tyres and possibly bigger!

Again though, if you are yet to buy the lifting bits, why not go to 3 inches? Getting in is not difficult, even for the shorter people I give lifts to and my KAP kit is great on and off road and I've now removed my anti roll bar.

As I say ... decisions, decisions ...

Kirkynut

More
24 Feb 2009 17:45 #396 by kirkynut
I was watching those steel wheels you won on ebay for £5.50 ooky_123, What a steal!!!

Kirkynut

More
04 Mar 2009 16:37 #465 by ooky_123
kirkynut wrote:

I was watching those steel wheels you won on ebay for £5.50 ooky_123, What a steal!!!

Kirkynut

cheers. Turns out we dont need them as we have just acquired a set of 5 15x6J wheels off a daihatsu and they fit loverly.

WOuld like to run 235x70x15 Insa Turbos saraha or dakar's on them and am not sure that with the lift they will have clearance

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds