BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Dislocation springs etc....

• gazert
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2010 13:30 #2176 by gazert
Dislocation springs etc.... was created by gazert
I am planning on doing a full mod to my jimny and have seen plenty of dislocation set ups on landies etc.. i have not seen one in any online shops for the Jimny!
I have seen a clip on youtube with a Jimny complete with dislocation set up link here
Any ideas where you can get such a set up?
any help appreciated.
Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
04 Feb 2010 14:01 - 04 Feb 2010 14:02 #2177 by funkyjimny
I think ive seen a write up on that car and its not even got Jimny axles on it, I'm sure its Toyota axles on 3 link rear end.
There are arguments for and against spring dislocation, some say its best to keep the tyre in contact with the road, others say that when the spring dislocates theres no weight on that wheel to help in traction.
I have a fairly standard jimny with a 3" lift and it has quite a bit of suspension movement, limited by the length of the shock absorbers. If you put much longer shock absorbers on the car on custom mounts you may be able to get your springs to dislocate and create some way of stopping them falling out just like the Land Rover style dislocation cones. Longer brake lines obviously required.

Gary
Last edit: 04 Feb 2010 14:02 by funkyjimny.

• gazert
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2010 17:29 #2181 by gazert
Replied by gazert on topic Re:Dislocation springs etc....
Ah well that makes sense.
I am prob just talking out of my tail pipe!
I don't even know how the jimny will be off road on a 4" lift along with a body lift, so if that copes with what i want to do then i will probably stick to that.
I still need the car to have reasonable manners on as well as off road as i do use it to commute 19 miles to work in Buxton.

Thanks for the reply and the bit about no weight on the wheel makes sense.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
04 Feb 2010 17:33 #2182 by funkyjimny
4" lift AND a bodylift? you might get seasick on your 19 mile commute, mine has a 3" lift and no anti roll bar and its not the best drive on the road, i commute about 13 miles each way to work and back, and i dont take the jimny very often believe me !

More
04 Feb 2010 18:31 #2185 by ooky_123
Bl**dy hell.. My bottle would give up well before the springs ever dislocated !!.. I still need to fine the limit of articulation for my jimny to give me piece of mind ...

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
04 Feb 2010 18:52 #2189 by mlines
I took mine to the garage today to have the tracking and wheel balancing sorting. The lads were impressed with the car to look at, but were even more impressed when their long reach trolley jack only just managed to get the wheel off the ground. At that point the bonnet line was level with his chest. Even I was impressed as I had never seen it articulate like that before.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
06 Feb 2010 05:10 #2203 by maverick
jacking up from the axle always sorts this out ...

Jalapeño, IISY?

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds