BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4x4 Not working

• ntc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2010 15:59 #2124 by ntc
4x4 Not working was created by ntc
The 4 wheel drive has packed up on my jimny When I looked the vac pipes on the front axle had snapped, I checked price of a new one from dealer £106 and this needed ordering in so I made up a new one with brake pipe & tee connectors fitted it and it's not working? Can anyone tell me how the hubs work and how to check them, also the correct way the pipes go on, maybe a diagram if pos or a site that may help, I am quite sure I have them the right way as I was careful when I removed the old pipe.

I know every one reccomends fitting manual hubs but I believe you need to modify the hubs and I need the 4x4 working ASAP as we still have snow.

thanks in advances if you can help...........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2010 16:18 - 02 Feb 2010 16:21 #2126 by Garry
Replied by Garry on topic Re:4x4 Not working
take your hubs off and activate them yourself, pop a finger inside and push, the gear ring will pop into place, fit back on jimny and you have locked hubs, select 4 wheel drive as normal and away you go.

alternatively, the sj ones are easy to fit, infact its a 10 min job

Martin has a spacer kit in his shop section, with this the sj hubs a a straight swap

a picture of mine fitted
Last edit: 02 Feb 2010 16:21 by Garry.

More
02 Feb 2010 16:22 - 02 Feb 2010 16:24 #2127 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:4x4 Not working
Hi and welcome to the forums.

I have written a guide to problem solving on the Vacuum Hubs

see HERE

When you get tired of working on them get yourself a set of SJ manual hubs and buy some bolt on adaptor rings from my favourite on-line shop ;)

See HERE

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 02 Feb 2010 16:24 by mlines.

• ntc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2010 21:04 #2140 by ntc
Replied by ntc on topic Re:4x4 Not working
Thanks for the quick reply, I will have a go at repairing the vacuum problem and will look out for hubs in my local breakers yard. Is it only SJ that fit as I know he has a Vitara in?

• tups93
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2010 21:58 #2141 by tups93
Replied by tups93 on topic Re:4x4 Not working
vitara ones will fit as well,

if you go down the manual hubs route i would suggest soaking them in diesel for a couple of days go give then a clean and keep the operational via hand, ie when you get out to lock your hubs they turn easly by hand, after a couple of days regrease and fit if you are ready to fit them.

• ntc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Feb 2010 12:58 #2156 by ntc
Replied by ntc on topic Re:4x4 Not working
Called to breakers yard he had a 410 in with fixed hubs are the free wheeling hubs a after market thing or did early 410s have the fixed type? :unsure: :unsure:

More
03 Feb 2010 13:03 #2157 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:4x4 Not working
Fixed hubs are an early feature, manual free wheeling hubs were an extra cost option early on.

You can use the fixed hub units but it gives you fewer "get me home" options when you break something. Manual free wheeling hubs give you the opportunity to disconnect the front transmission if a problem occurs. With fixed hubs your CVs, diff and front prop all continue to rotate at all times.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
03 Feb 2010 16:07 - 03 Feb 2010 18:54 #2158 by Garry
Replied by Garry on topic Re:4x4 Not working
they had two types of free wheeling hubs, the standard ones, and the aisin ones i have
Last edit: 03 Feb 2010 18:54 by Garry.

More
11 Mar 2024 18:52 #255012 by REEDD
Replied by REEDD on topic 4x4 Not working
Hi Guys and Girls, 

I've got an issue with my 4 wheel drive not working and alarmingly a noise coming from what I believe to be the transfer box but I could be wrong. 

What I know is... 
There is a humm/grind above 28mph and severe between 28 and 40, it's intermittent. 
A garage has had it on the ramp and says the 4 wheel drive system isn't engaging and that the front prop doesn't spin, however when you press the buttons I can hear the motor in the transfer box doing something and all sounds positive. 
​​​
The Jimny is a 60 plate with 102,000 miles on it and it seems to have been looked after. 

The garage I took it to believes that it is trying to put itself into 4 wheel drive low as your driving but this doesn't make sense to me (I'm in engineering but by no means a mechanic or have any good electrical knowledge). 
This garage recommended I check some solenoids and failing that change the transfer box which I think personally may solve the problem as it seems an obvious place for the problem. 

I'm told by another garage that the rear prop had seized and this was replaced at dealers expense. He also said the hum might have been the tyres or a wheel bearing, but I'm certain that isn't the case. 

Does anyone have any ideas of what to look at? 

Thanks in advance 

​​​

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Mar 2024 20:27 #255021 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 4x4 Not working
There's a lot more information in the information section in the top banner but it's likely that you have a hub not doing it's thing properly in the front axle. I'd need serious evidence to go swapping the transfer box first off.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds