BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fitting 2" body lift

• Back in Black
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2011 10:41 #20540 by Back in Black
Fitting 2" body lift was created by Back in Black
Hi,

(first post so please go easy on me!!)

I am fitting (fingers crossed) a JimnyBits 2" body lift at the weekend, having got a height complex after looking at the other Jimnys here, and didn't want to stand out too much at Wagtails. I have done a trial run and found how to access all 8 bolts. I have also ordered extended brake lines, as I have already fitted 2" spacers on the springs and was concerned the current lines might get a bit stretched.

I have noticed that the front bumper mounts will no-longer line up, and I have read that sometimes the gear stick and 4 wheel drive selector no longer work correctly without some tweaks. What alse do I need to be aware of?

If you have any tips they, will be gratefully reiceved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Az1987
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2011 12:41 #20547 by Az1987
Replied by Az1987 on topic Re: Fitting 2" body lift
You might have to make the steering shaft long is you don't get the bits in the kit

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2011 13:19 #20549 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: Fitting 2" body lift
From my knowledge, you're good to go: springs, brake lines, shocks. The extended brake lines were required even if you didn't had spacers, as the brake lines will stretch quite a way when flexing the suspension. A steering spacer is not required (I have a 2" body lift and it works ok), but indeed the grip on the steering shaft will be shorter than the original. For 3" you definitely need a steering spacer.

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2011 17:16 #20571 by srcars
Replied by srcars on topic Re: Fitting 2" body lift
Dont know if its down to the year but I had to extend the steering. Either way if your steering wheel gets disconnected from the box make sure you connect it back without turning it. The horn and air bag electrics are connected by a clockwork style ribon cable only capable of turning if i remember correctly 2 1/2 turns in each direction.
I also had to adapt the transfer box lever to allow 4wd low to engage. I removed the lever from above and then cut it, rotated the two halves slightly and rewelded it back togeather. Most people get it bent for them but it needs some serious heat.
Watch your air pipes for the free wheeling hubs and your brake lines as you lift it but other than that it was very straight forward and done in a few hours single handed ;) Just take your time when you lift to make sure nothing is caught.
My MOT man was pleased to see the brake balance bracket on the rear axle adapted which is an easy fix.
Hope that helps a bit

• Back in Black
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2011 09:47 #20621 by Back in Black
Replied by Back in Black on topic Re: Fitting 2" body lift
Thank you all for the replies/information.

I feel more confident now that I will be able to pull it off.

I'll post an update when I've finished ;)

Thanks again.......

More
18 Aug 2011 10:02 #20622 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: Fitting 2" body lift
Welcome Back in Black,
There's no such thing as a stupid question on here and even if it's been asked before you'll still get answers or directed to the relevant info.
My DIY body lift turned out at 32mm! (length of nylon bar cut into eight bits) slacken both ends of both steering knuckles but dont remove the bolts there's a flat on the splined shafts where the bolts sit and the one on the steering box is about an inch long, that's where I got the necessary extension. It's also the one that's likely to be seized.I don't think the bottom front bumper brackets can be shifted/modified by 2ins as they're fixed closely to the bottom of the cross member, but I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong. My bumper is cut so I don't have bottom mounts anyway. the brake pipes/hoses to watch are the two short flexys between body and chassis below the master cylinder, unbolt the union from the chassis and bend the pipes slightly as you lift then put in a short plate to extend the bracket. The rear flexy is not affected by a body lift, the fronts are. You'll also need to take the cover off the fuel tank filler pipes under the rear offside wheelarch and loosen the jubilee clips, maybe get some new ones in case.The main gear lever should be OK but the transfer lever does need adjusting otherwise it'll be difficult to select low ratio and/or jump back into high (right pain in the a*%e when you're competing in a trial!) The standard lever is a complex bend to the front and left it's easy to take out (after the lift cos there's more clearance) I cut mine 3/4 way through and straightened the bend to the front and welded it up (looking at it now from right or left it looks straight if that makes sense) hope this might help a bit.
Cheers,
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Back in Black

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2011 13:50 #20635 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: Fitting 2" body lift

Johnniehec wrote: Welcome Back in Black,
I don't think the bottom front bumper brackets can be shifted/modified by 2ins as they're fixed closely to the bottom of the cross member, but I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Aha, now I understand why a bash plate is mounted on mine ! :laugh: so, basic idea is that you get a piece of steel and bend it; the top part gets to support the bumper mounts, bottom part gets attached to where the bumper used to be mounted.

• renard38
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2011 14:17 #20637 by renard38
Replied by renard38 on topic Re: Fitting 2" body lift
hi,
pictures when i put 2" body lift on my jimny:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I hope this can help you ;)

A+

• Back in Black
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2011 10:20 #20687 by Back in Black
Update no1: got all the nuts off and have the spacers on the front two, good so far.

Can't get the rear to detach from the chassis!!! I've banged and oiled but everytime I jack the body the chassis comes up too!?!? Anyone get stuck here.

Having a break and lunch while rain stops play.

I thought the front was too easy

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2011 16:12 #20690 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Fitting 2" body lift
Just a guess as I haven't done mine yet.
Could the rear bolts be at too much of an angle and so are 'gripping' the chassis?

Try taking the front out and lifting the body at the front and rear at the same time, perhaps??

K :)

• renard38
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2011 17:29 #20691 by renard38
Replied by renard38 on topic Re: Fitting 2" body lift
when i put the body lift, i put first the right and after the left on my jimny ;)

• Back in Black
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2011 18:29 #20693 by Back in Black
Update no2: bad light stopped play.

The washer on the left re-most stud had managed to get threaded on!! Soaking wet and desperate I tried using a pry bar to twist it off - 1 1/2 hours for one nut!

I had some issues with lining the studs up when I had the spacers finally in place. I have become very adept with trolley jacks. Landed up with three extras from neighbours.

First thing tomorrow need to get the last bolt lined up at front passenger side!

Thank you for the tips earlier. Can't wait for update three ;(

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds