BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

front brake help

More
24 Jan 2010 14:07 - 24 Jan 2010 14:08 #2010 by Garry
front brake help was created by Garry
ive got a new set of pads, the correct ones, but cant get the piston back far enough to get them to fit in, any ideas?

is it a push back piston or windback? do i need a specific tool to do it? g clamp was useless

i know nowt about the jimnys brake system,
also the brakes are soft as a soft thing, had new rear shoes fitted last month, no off-roading done with them yet, so new front pads and disc will give a good hard pedal again?
Last edit: 24 Jan 2010 14:08 by Garry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2010 17:06 #2014 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:front brake help
I push the pistons back using a G-Clamp and its fine, it will push the pistons fully back into the calipers with ease.

If it will not go back so that it is entirely flush perhaps the piston is sticking.

If the brakes are soft I would always look at the adjustment of the rear shoes, they need to be adjusted to be very close in order to get any real feel in the brakes.

Softness can also be caused by a flexible brake pipe "ballooning" under pressure.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
24 Jan 2010 17:32 #2019 by Garry
Replied by Garry on topic Re:front brake help
thanks martin, my friend is a mechanic, so the jimny is going in next sat for pads, discs rear shoes and the system is getting bled

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds