BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

cv joint

More
29 Sep 2008 18:24 #201 by bazwidajimny
cv joint was created by bazwidajimny
hi guys i think i got a cv joint gone just wont to no whots the best way to take the hub apart a fit new cv joint. i say i think its gone thear is no play in wheel bearing or kingpin bearing but just be fore the driver side wheel gos to full lock to the right it clicks very loud its the only thing i can think it could be ass i dont think the free wheel hub could make this sound any ideas :unsure: i will take it for a spin soon and put it in 4x4 and see if thear is any nocking from the cv jont on full lock when in 4x4 as this might comfirm it has gone :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2008 08:48 #202 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:cv joint
Download the guide to changing the KingPin bearings from this website, if you do this then at the final step you can pull the driveshaft out and change it.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
30 Sep 2008 19:45 #204 by Dave N
Replied by Dave N on topic Re:cv joint
Watch if your cv is bad and brakes when your driving it can restrict your stearing. It happend to me few weeks back had to dismantle hub in middle of woods!! Sounds like your cv is gone. If your in 2wd with your hubs unlocked you shouldent get clicking noise... I dont think!! You will get it on lock in 4wd i have found it problem have had a few worn out cv joints.. I would take wheel off then caliper and bracket off then hub cap and take clip off end of cv joint(shaft) that you will find under cap. Then take 4 bolts holding hub off that will get you into cv joint. I use rubber hammer to nock them off end of shaft.

More
30 Sep 2008 21:59 #205 by bazwidajimny
Replied by bazwidajimny on topic Re:cv joint
thanks dave. my stearing is bad when i turn full lock right and it clicks and took it 4 a spin put it in 4x4 and turned full lock both ways and both cv joints are knocking so how long will they last b4 they go? is it advisable to change soon as poss, if they blow will i still be able drive home, or will steering be too bad? how easy is it to get the new cv joint back on to th shaft,(does it just hit on or is it a surclip??)
thanks bazz

More
01 Oct 2008 12:24 #206 by mlines
The problem if they break is that the steering appears ok for a bit then it suddenly snatches to one side, as if some has grabbed the steering wheel and yanked it left/right - its quite exciting!

Dave - where have you been getting your CVs from? They are not cheap and you have been really getting through them!

Martin

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
01 Oct 2008 16:35 #207 by bazwidajimny
ive had a price from a local factors at 40+vat suzuki wanted 258 pounds each lol

More
01 Oct 2008 17:02 #208 by mlines
Thats an excellent price - most seem to be over £100. Do you have a part number or reference number for them?

Martin

Martin

More
01 Oct 2008 21:52 #209 by bazwidajimny
dave have u got 31inch tyers on your jeep or wheel spacers is that why thay keep going so soon i had new wheel bearing 6 months ago amd thay have gone again both sides and both cv jonts and my free wheel hubs have stoped working i think my 31s r killing my jeep whot do u think m8 i cant keep fixing it like this all the time havent got the cash but with the mods i got on it now its shocking wear it will go off road dont realy want 2 go back smaller but i dont want 2 kill it B) :unsure:

More
02 Oct 2008 21:42 #210 by Dave N
Replied by Dave N on topic Re:cv joint
Was getting cv's(4 so far) for £56 from local motor factors(2 year warrenty) they diddent last so got full fr axel low millage (fingers crossed it was hairdresser and never been in 4x4) and used cv's from that suzuki ones they seem ok the now will see how they go.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds