BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Axle oil fill plug

• Mala43B
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2011 18:27 #19914 by Mala43B
Axle oil fill plug was created by Mala43B

Hi can anyone help?
I've tried to remove the front axle fill plug using a 3/8 square drive adapter and breaker bar but I have slightly rounded it.

I've recently changed the front axle oil seal due to it letting oil out the axle into the swivel and out the swivel seal. I don't think there is any oil in the diff now (none came out when I removed the axle oil seal), am I right in saying when in 2WD the front diff/axle does not rotate and therefor I can still drive it without oil in the front diff?

How do I remove the rounded plug?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2011 18:58 #19917 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
My drain plug is also seized solid... luckily all of the oil came out of the swivel hub when the kingpins were knackered :)

Will have to get a nut welded on then take it out that way

More
03 Aug 2011 19:35 #19921 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
I think these are available from the main stealer.

To get that out though spray some wd40 on for a few days then try some mole grips or a chisel and try to knock it round if you don't have access to a welder. If you can get a mate to help then try a combination of a couple of approaches.

I've run my diff dry before without realising. You'll be ok in 2wd though as you said the front diff won't rotate.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
03 Aug 2011 21:16 #19925 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
My rear filler was stuck, and the square hole just turned into a round hole when I tried to undo it :ohmy:

However, it came undone very easily with a couple of little taps on a chisel knocking the edge anticlockwise.

Then I sinply filed a piece of hexagon until it fitted the hole in the plug and welded it in place. Comes undone with a spanner now. ;)

Seems the case with all the fasteners on the jimny, they are not particularly tight, just the heads are made of plasticene :huh:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2011 06:49 #19929 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
You can run the car so diff is warm, then spray "Freeze all" onto the oil filler. This will cause the filler to shrink off and can then be easily removed. Gotta love modern technology.

:D

• chechan rebel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2011 06:56 - 06 Aug 2011 10:15 #19930 by chechan rebel
Replied by chechan rebel on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
Hmmm..............................i changed my front an rear diff oils other day, but all 4 of my plugs came straight out. Also did transfer today 2 came out................gearbox to go, ran out of oil. Got more oil, changed gearbox oil...............2 of them plugs came straight out to.

Edit: 6/8/2011
Last edit: 06 Aug 2011 10:15 by chechan rebel.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2011 08:00 - 04 Aug 2011 08:01 #19934 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
British winter weather isn't too kind on the underside of our Jimny's ;)
Its worth sticking some sealant on the plugs before replacing... just to keep the thread clean

Sharp shock is the way to loosen them... do not force, as this is when the socket slips and you round the square off. If you do round the holes... file the rough edges for next time.

I don't use the socket head either, a 10mm square drive is a better (proper) fit... can be found fairly cheap
Although you have no choice with the gear/transfer box, because space is so limited!
Last edit: 04 Aug 2011 08:01 by adamatdraycott.

More
04 Aug 2011 18:27 #19970 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
To remove them once you have rounded them, buy a bloody big set of mole grips, grip them round the outside edge as tight as your hand will tighten them and knock it round with your hand or lightly with a hammer.

Get a replacement first - part number 09248-20003 from your friendly local Suzuki dealer who will charge you £3.19 each for them.

As has been said, use something on the thread. I use Hylomar Blue. It seals the thread to stop the oil leaking and stops is rusting into place.

Also, don't do them up too hard and they wil be easier to undo next time.

All the best.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mala43B

More
04 Aug 2011 18:44 #19972 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
as above too, i tighten it up then back it off a little.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2011 19:49 #19974 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
ive come accross a few that have been rounded off & i just weld a nut on & then can use a socket to undo them

as long as there not totaly rounded you can just heat them up with a blow lamp & they will come undone very easy

• Mala43B
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2011 22:27 - 04 Aug 2011 22:28 #19976 by Mala43B
Replied by Mala43B on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
Thanks guys

I've got myself an 10mm drain plug key from Halfords to use instead of a 3/8 drive bar, It might still work if not I'll try the "bloody big set of mole grips" kirkynut suggests. don't want to go down the welding road as the only mates I know with a welder use electric welding gear and don't want to have to disconnect every thing first.

Thanks for the part number too kirkynut, the guy at the parts desk, although pleasant seems a bit dim, he didn't know Jimnys had CV joints the last time I was there pricing one up!

I'll be having a go at it on Friday so I'll let you all know if I'm successful.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2011 22:28 by Mala43B. Reason: spelling

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2011 04:23 #19978 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
Trouble with most Suzy dealers they are in partnership with other manufacturers... Skoda, Fiat...
My local one is Skoda with Suzy bolted on... they are useless!

Whereas Suzuki in Shrewsbury, think its with Fiat, are great!
Great stock of parts, and good knowledge of the Jimny

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds