BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

I have serious engine issues

• chewy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2010 10:13 #1936 by chewy
I have serious engine issues was created by chewy
Hi, i have a 1999 jimny, a month ago it started to loose power, now all it will do is tick over.
it will not rev at all.
Checked:
plugs
ht leads
throttle linkage
cat

the garage say their diagnostic will not talk to it and they suspect the ecu.

can anyone shed any light on this before i spend a load of cash on it.

Cheers for any help.

Mike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2010 10:19 #1937 by mlines
You say you have checked the CAT, but this problem really is symptomatic of a blocked CAT.

I would disconnect the exhaust at the manifold and see if it runs better (but very noisily!!)

The other issue might be the Camshaft sensor, these fail regularly.

Not sure why the ECU won't talk to the diagnostic system but I would have thought the engine would not have run at all if the ECU was stuffed.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
19 Jan 2010 12:26 #1939 by ooky_123
When you say it will not rev ... if you try and rev it, does the rev counter / Warning lights / speedo go crazy ?

This sounds similar to the symptoms ours showed when we had a sensor breaking down.

Could be driving at 70 mph, all of a sudden, back fire, foot flat to the floor and nothing .. dip the clutch and it would idle no problem.. rev it up and the rev counter / warnings would go crazy.
Switch off and allow to cool / restart ... no problem .. until it got warm.

at 5mpg in low box it would go all day but as soon as you revved it ....

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• chewy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2010 11:58 #1992 by chewy
Replied by chewy on topic Re:I have serious engine issues
Just had the garage on the phone AGAIN, The problem is the crankshaft pulley bolt has sheared, the key way is so worn that even if they got the remanence of the bolt out it would still be loose on the shaft so the only option is to try and weld the pulley directly on to the shaft.

Unless anyone has a free engine on offer?

No i didn't think so.

Hope no one else has to go through this as it is a real ball ache.

More
23 Jan 2010 17:56 - 23 Jan 2010 17:57 #1997 by mlines
Thats a bit worrying as I am sure I have read about this problem elsewhere...

...yes

HERE

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Last edit: 23 Jan 2010 17:57 by mlines.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
24 Jan 2010 15:50 #2012 by funkyjimny
And as for the engine management code readers , nope, most of them dont read jimnys, ive tried a few including Snap On and finally had to go to the auto electricians in Crewe and pay £50, they gave me the code, read the workshop manual, fixed in half hour for nothing, oil in pipe to sensor.
I couldnt read my last T reg one, cant read my current S reg one, and couldnt read Mavericks 54 plate one, just comes up with 'import' on one reader.

Gary

More
24 Jan 2010 17:02 #2013 by mlines
I have had two or three code readers and they all read the codes ok on my 03 plate. They didn't display the diagnostic reason, just the nummeric code, which you then had to look up in the manual. The Code Reader I currently have is permanently connected (see www.bigjimny.com/index.php?option=com_co...accessories&Itemid=2) and it works well apart from the US gallons issue.

Only a Suzuki code reader can read the Airbag and Immobiliser codes however.

Martin

Martin

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
24 Jan 2010 17:52 #2021 by funkyjimny
Thats interesting Martin, the Snap On one which is near new and cost a small fortune just comes up with 'no codes found' on my S reg and my old T reg, and on Mavericks 54 plate it came up with 'import', referring to the manual it states its unable to read it as it has a foreign code in place... ??
My friend has a local garage and he has 2 code readers, ones a scanner, the other a full ODBC scanner and reader. neither of them work on any jimny thats been through the garage. the Snap On one belongs to another friend who works at the other garage in the village.
So, what model code readers do you have Martin, and what codes have you been able to read with them? have they helped or just come up with 'no codes' like my two cars?
I have done the 'short the plug out and count the flash' method which pointed to the right sensor on the fault i had on my old T reg one, but didnt tell me wether the code was 'high' or 'low' which means either sensor is knackered, or reading from sensor is wrong....

Gary

More
24 Jan 2010 18:08 - 24 Jan 2010 18:09 #2022 by mlines
I currently have the Autel Maxitrip which displays the error codes..

Here it is telling me:

Fault 1: P0105 - DTC P0105 (DTC No.11) Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Circuit Malfunction

Fault 2: P0335 - DTC P0335 (DTC No.23) Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Before that I had a ELM SCAN 3.12 and we also used a "yellow hand held" that a mate had.

See www.talktomycar.co.uk for the Autel one that I currently have.

Martin

Martin

Last edit: 24 Jan 2010 18:09 by mlines.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
24 Jan 2010 18:12 #2024 by funkyjimny
Thats pretty cool Martin (other than the errors its telling you lol!) Someone on SS just said that a lot of the cheaper scanners are known to read suzukis.

Gary

More
24 Jan 2010 18:16 #2025 by mlines
Its pretty cool telling me all sorts of stats, including temperature etc. its just a shame that MPG is in US Gallons ot Litres. According to "Talktomycar" (a UK company) there is no call for one that works in Imperial gallons.

Martin

Martin

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds