BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

1.8 liter in Jimny

• FIRSTJIMNY
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2011 21:08 #17358 by FIRSTJIMNY
1.8 liter in Jimny was created by FIRSTJIMNY
Would it be considerably more difficult to install a 1.8 Suzuki engine into a Jimny as opposed to a 1.6?
It is my undestanding that the 1.8 produces about 122 horsepower. Would a standard Jimny driveline hold up to that kind of power? What might be necessary to upgrade to handle it correctly?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• g187eev
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2011 10:12 #17370 by g187eev
Replied by g187eev on topic Re: 1.8 liter in Jimny
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any Suzuki's with a 1.8 engine??? Are you sure your not thinking of the Vitara 2lt 4cy engine?

If so, this is a totally different engine and it's not just a case of an adaptor plate...

RB

• FIRSTJIMNY
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2011 15:41 #17379 by FIRSTJIMNY
Replied by FIRSTJIMNY on topic Re: 1.8 liter in Jimny
I read about a Jimny in Austrailia that has a 1.8 ltr. in it. In America a few years ago my son had a Suzuki Sidekick which I think are Vitara's in your part of the world. Seems like it had a 1.8 in it. I'm definitely not well versed in engines that Suzuki offers. I didn't know if there were available here or had previously been available here or not. I'm trying to get up to speed but it is a slow process.

Is there another engine in addition to the 1.6 that is a good candidate for a swap into the Jimny? Are there different 1.6 engines and is one considered better for such a swap than the other one?

Thanks for your time.

More
05 Jun 2011 18:37 #17384 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Re: 1.8 liter in Jimny
The 1.8 is the J engine it was fitted in the GSR Baleno. The 1.8 Sidekick would have been the wider framed Sport model, we got the 2ltr V6 instead. Its the same block as the J20 that was fitted in the GV, its a lot more work to fit because it needs a custom machined flywheel among other issues.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• FIRSTJIMNY
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2011 17:51 #17484 by FIRSTJIMNY
Thanks for the info Rhinoman. That is enough to let me know that it is not the way I want to go.

• zukenutter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jun 2011 09:45 - 13 Jun 2011 10:01 #17712 by zukenutter
Replied by zukenutter on topic Re: 1.8 liter in Jimny
In Australia we have a 1.8 litre Suzuki Liana sedan. It has a M18a which is identical externally to the M13a and just needs all ancillaries swapped over, it even runs on the M13a engine management. This is becoming a popular swap over here as it is almost plug'n'play.

Last edit: 13 Jun 2011 10:01 by zukenutter.

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2011 07:43 #17753 by Monkey
Replied by Monkey on topic Re: 1.8 liter in Jimny
Yes! There are at least 3 jimny in Aus with the m18a that i know of, one even has a turbo setup and as mentioned above its pretty much just plug and play unless you use the M18A ECU.

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2011 07:44 #17754 by Monkey
Replied by Monkey on topic Re: 1.8 liter in Jimny
Yes! There are at least 3 jimny in Aus with the m18a that i know of, one even has a turbo setup and as mentioned above its pretty much just plug and play unless you use the M18A ECU.

I have been looking at doing the m18a conversion once i get a few more KM's up on my current motor, but with over sized pistons and with some head work.

• Bigchridy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2011 16:09 #17781 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: 1.8 liter in Jimny
Does this mean that the M16A that we get over here in our liana's will also be plug and play? As I have been looking at doing this myself in the near future but the engine management side of things kind of puts me off. The engine looks identical to the M13A externally so it should be a straight swap!:)

Or do Suzuki do any of their vehicles in the UK with an M18A engine in?

Chris

• zukenutter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2011 10:03 #17963 by zukenutter
Replied by zukenutter on topic Re: 1.8 liter in Jimny
To be plug and play I think, from what I've read, that for engine management reasons, a VVT Jimny needs a VVT M18A and the earlier Jimny needs a NON VVT M18A

• FIRSTJIMNY
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2011 21:17 #18196 by FIRSTJIMNY
That is great news. Will set about to find an M18A. Thanks for the heads up.

• Dutchjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2011 18:46 #20757 by Dutchjimny
Replied by Dutchjimny on topic Re: 1.8 liter in Jimny
My previous car was a Baleno Gsx (the sports model) and it had an J18A engine

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds