BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny clutch

More
04 Oct 2009 15:11 #1333 by Baz2236
Jimny clutch was created by Baz2236
After playing in the mud today I notice my clutch starting to slip and it got hot a few times and smoked. So I am in the Market for a new one I can't really afford a paddle clutch at the moment but i see on the bay they do a heavy duty clutch any one tried one before are know where I can get a decent one from.

Baz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2009 16:11 #1334 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Jimny clutch
Baz,

Can't really offer advice other than to avoid the cheaper standard clutches. I bought one of the £70 ones from Ebay and its rubbish!

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
05 Oct 2009 18:43 #1336 by Baz2236
Replied by Baz2236 on topic Re:Jimny clutch
I have gone for a heavy duty fast road clutch so it might last a little while hopefully. I been reading the write-up on change the clutch and it seems similar to a SJ but I soon relized with an SJ it was easier to whip the engine out with the gearbox attached is it the same with the Jimny does the engine come out just as easy, Or shall I just get underneath it and stop worry about it. Anything else I should think about befoe taking on this task.

Thanks in advance.

Baz

More
12 Oct 2009 07:52 #1354 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Jimny clutch
I paid a nice man to do mine .... We went for a KAP Heavy Duty Paddle Clutch. Very binary when driving, and difficult to slip. although when engaged, it just pulls and pulls.

Would be interested to know how your Heavy Duty clutch gets on in the wear department as we were in the same boat when ours went .. only it went completely with no drive what so ever.

We only went for the paddle because thats what everone recommended to us, although the advertised Heavy Duty ones were also considdered as they were considderably cheaper :)

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
12 Oct 2009 10:33 #1360 by jonplace
Replied by jonplace on topic Re:Jimny clutch
yes ooky i've also heard that the paddle clutch's are quite aggressive, either on / off.
keep us posted on how you find the your clutch baz as its something i'll have to do at some point
:)

More
17 Oct 2009 17:46 #1376 by Baz2236
Clutch is in will be testing it out tomorrow so far driving on the road seems alright a little heavier on the clutch pedal then a standard one and a little more stanchy a lot tamer then a paddle clutch. Will give it a good test tomorrow.

Baz

More
17 Oct 2009 19:35 #1377 by ooky_123
Good to hear.
Incidently, after almost 4 months of driving, I went out 2 nights ago with some mates, and, after showing off for 20 minutes, managed to get myself cross exelled and going no where in 2 ft of sticky mud.
Recovery was only managed using the rear tow bar and 2 other 4x4's shackled together!!. :ohmy:

at one point I thought the JImny was going to end up on its side as it was not possible to snatch block or recover in the direction I was facing :ohmy: :ohmy: :silly: but after ridign the wall of death, she found the floor.

Afterwards, I found myself recovering a Frontera Sport and I never realised ho wheavy they were compared to the Jimny.

The new clutch was put to the test, and drive tras transmitted effortlessly, spinning all wheels and digging down to get traction. No sign of slippage or nasty smells.

Sorry for Rambling :)

Jason

More
17 Oct 2009 19:41 - 18 Oct 2009 16:16 #1378 by Baz2236
2 trucks needed to recovery a jimny you must of been well stuck. I will find a stuck landie tomorrow to pull out to test it. Only issue I got at the minute is a sloppy gearstick should be alright for tomorrow gives me somthing todo in the evening this week.

Baz
Last edit: 18 Oct 2009 16:16 by Baz2236.

More
18 Oct 2009 16:17 #1385 by Baz2236
I can confirm on its first outing the clutch was top notch with no over heating and no slipping it work well.

More
19 Oct 2009 08:59 - 19 Oct 2009 09:06 #1391 by ooky_123
Great News. When its gets a little damper... we must have a mini meet... be great to see other Jimnys out and about. At present, were limited to the green oval brigade to humiliate

Last edit: 19 Oct 2009 09:06 by ooky_123.

More
04 Nov 2009 07:22 #1426 by IvoBG
Replied by IvoBG on topic Re:Jimny clutch
Is the Jimny clutch same as tha Samurai 1.3L? We have limited choice in Bulgaria, so I'm wandering can I use SJ's one.

Ivo

+3 Procomp lift ES 3000
195 R15 Malatesta Kaiman
Lockright rear diff locker
32mm wheel spacers
extended brake hoses
front and rear prop shaft spacers
caster correction bush kit

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds