BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

30" tyres ?

More
24 Aug 2009 19:53 #1188 by Asbojimny
30" tyres ? was created by Asbojimny
Are they to big on standard gearing? Or do i just leave the house 30 mins earlier to get anywhere?

scottishmudclub.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2009 22:02 #1191 by kevant
Replied by kevant on topic Re:30" tyres ?
Depends if you live on a hill

More
25 Aug 2009 05:37 #1192 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:30" tyres ?
I ran 30" tyres on standard gearing ok.

Fine on the road. Off-road it was a bit too high geared, made going down hills a bit scary as it tended to "run away" and you had to brake. Also meant a lot of clutch slipping off-road.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
25 Aug 2009 15:41 - 25 Aug 2009 15:42 #1194 by Asbojimny
Replied by Asbojimny on topic Re:30" tyres ?
The jimnys got 30's on now. Was thinking of maybe downsizing as wont be off roading it to much. Guess i'll need to try our and see how it handles.

Was told top speed with 30's on would be 60mph!! that true martin?

scottishmudclub.com
Last edit: 25 Aug 2009 15:42 by Asbojimny.

More
30 Aug 2009 15:27 #1207 by Asbojimny
Replied by Asbojimny on topic Re:30" tyres ?
Got a chance of a swap for some 235 75 15 tyres (29") Insa turbo saharas. Would it make a great deal off difference,for the better.?? As far as tar mac driving goes? Hills etc

scottishmudclub.com

More
31 Aug 2009 10:33 #1212 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:30" tyres ?
I have found that Insa Turbo's come up slightly bigger than other brands, so although in theory they are 29 inches, put them up against your 30 inchers and I bet there will not be a full inch of difference, if any at all. Assuming both are in new condition that is!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
31 Aug 2009 16:21 #1220 by Asbojimny
Replied by Asbojimny on topic Re:30
kirkynut wrote:

I have found that Insa Turbo's come up slightly bigger than other brands, so although in theory they are 29 inches, put them up against your 30 inchers and I bet there will not be a full inch of difference, if any at all. Assuming both are in new condition that is!

Kirkynut

Good point mate,i'll have to have a wee check. Might even go down the road of standard road tyres and swap for off roading.

scottishmudclub.com

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds