× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Evolution grid conversion on previous Jimny version

More
16 Jun 2024 09:09 - 16 Jun 2024 09:10 #256304 by Furia
Hello everyone I'm Matteo from Italy an happy honer of a diesel (DDIS) Jimny from about 1 year now. Unfortunately few days ago at a roundabout I rear ended a truck after he unexpectedly  stepped on the the brakes and I smashed a bit the bonnet and made a hole in the bumper.. ops.. (dio merda in italian).
​​​​​​Does anyone knows if cutting out the lower part of a pre 2012 bonnet and adding a a plastic grid from a 2012+ coud be possibile? I know the bonnet is slight different and they are not interchangeable without some other parts and need at least to relocate the opening hook but I think cutting may works. Any experience? 
Last edit: 16 Jun 2024 09:10 by Furia. Reason: Error

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2024 09:18 #256305 by Furia

More
16 Jun 2024 11:35 - 16 Jun 2024 11:46 #256306 by Motacilla
Saluti Matteo!

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

To answer the question, it is certainly possible to modify the bonnet, but I think you will be surprised at the cost.  Such a repair (welding etc) is a skilled job and it takes time.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2024 11:46 by Motacilla.

More
16 Jun 2024 11:49 #256307 by Furia
Ciao Motacilla! Thanks for your answer.. don't think any welding would be needed. The grid bolt on the bumper and on the grey metal bracket on the third photo and doesn't go up with the bonnet. You can see what I'm saying in this video at min 4:00

More
16 Jun 2024 13:24 #256308 by Motacilla
It does not work to cut a piece off of the bonnet and then leave the cut edge unfinished.     Particularly as your bonnet would still need a certain amount of hand repair due to the accident damage.

I know you are trying to find an easy way to do this, and I don't mean to discourage you, but it is not as simple as finding a new grille and cutting out a gap in the bonnet to make it "fit."  I mean no offense, just speaking from long experience here.  

Perhaps if you could tell us your budget for the project, someone here could recommend the best approach.  

More
16 Jun 2024 15:12 - 16 Jun 2024 18:02 #256309 by Furia
Of course the cut edge would have to be refined.. what I'm trying to understand here is if the job would be reasonable or not because I'm not sure that cutting the old grid off would leave a gap too big to be covered with the new one without the needing of prolong the bonnet or if  they will line up correctly. Just trying my luck here and seeing if someone did a similar thing before.
Is not even a budget question because the grid I like is more expensive than a second hand bonnet and require to work on mine.  I like the Hummer stile grid a lot. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jun 2024 18:02 by Furia.

More
17 Jun 2024 18:54 #256320 by Darthblaker7474
I think it would work?

or you could go down the route I took and swap on an entire new front end 

More
17 Jun 2024 22:14 #256322 by Furia
Hope will work! I like the shape of the old bonnet more than the new! That orange Jimny is superb! :-)

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds