BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen4 Auto....slow to change up when cold

More
07 Mar 2023 13:02 #247946 by TFL
Have owned a Gen4 Manual for 2 years and now changed to a 2020 Gen4 Auto. I prefer the auto but find that after being stood overnight and engine cold the auto won't change up to 4th (o/d) until traveled for the first 3 miles. Is there a sensor to prevent this until the engine reaches full temperature? I find it irritating to be driving in 3rd gear at high engine revs with traffic behind, beside which I don't like revving an engine above about 2500 until it is warm. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Mar 2023 13:31 #247947 by Lambert
My 3 is exactly the same they all are. I find that it needs the first 3 bars on the temperature guage, usually about a mile and a half and it's good to go.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Mar 2023 18:59 #247956 by Busta
Yeah they all do that. But it's funny that this is still a thing in 2020! Classic Suzuki "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach to car manufacturing.

More
07 Mar 2023 22:37 #247963 by 300bhpton
I don’t think it is about being broke and not fixed. It is about emissions. When cold the engine pollutes more. The aim is to raise it to operating temps quickly. 

More
07 Mar 2023 22:54 #247964 by Gadget
Yep that's standard behaviour for the auto when cold. You won't notice it in the summer.

More
08 Mar 2023 01:15 #247966 by fordem
I'm going to stick my neck out and say 99% of the electronically shifted automatics, regardless of vehicle, operate like that - I just can't think of anything I've driven in the last twenty years or so that didn't.

It's not just about the engine temperatures, the automatic transmission itself doesn't work well when the fluid is cold, there's a reason the transmission fluid runs through a heat exchanger in the radiator, and it's not to help the engine run hotter.

More
08 Mar 2023 07:54 #247969 by jlines
My Evoque tends to over rev on cold mornings and takes longer to shift so not just a Jimny thing.

More
08 Mar 2023 10:23 #247972 by Busta
Ah ok, I've never noticed it in Discos and Rangerovers. I think the fact it's a low powered engine with not many gears makes it more obvious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TFL

More
08 Mar 2023 17:48 #247980 by TFL
Thanks for all the responses......it seems they are all the same and some other brands too. TFL

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds