BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Towing 7pin socket

More
06 Mar 2023 19:22 #247935 by Rackster
Towing 7pin socket was created by Rackster
Hi all I got a 55 plate Jim it came with tow bar and electrics fitted put my trailer on indicators ok brake lights ok no normal lights checked the socket it was pretty manky so changed it  lights still no good checked with multi meter only 2.5 volts on the lights don't know what to do or check thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2023 22:41 #247938 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Towing 7pin socket
Trace the wiring back to see where it is spliced in to. It is usually connected in to wiring behind the panel in the back on the near side. Very often ‘Scotch’ blocks are used that are quick but can give a poor connection.

You might need to remove the bumper to trace the wiring, but it comes off really easily.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 Mar 2023 14:36 #248063 by Rackster
Replied by Rackster on topic Towing 7pin socket
Traced the wires to the joints bared the wire before the joint still no good All the wires end up in a black box on the left hand side still scratching my head 

More
16 Mar 2023 15:10 #248064 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Towing 7pin socket
It will save you time and effort if you just buy a new trailer socket wiring kit and fit it, removing the black box and existing wires.

Possibly the black box is one of those 7 way relay doings that isolate the trailer electrics from the car, and also monitor the indicator load so it beeps when the trailer is indicating. These need an extra 12V power feed as they have relays that switch the lamps from it to avoid any load on the car's lighting circuits. It could be faulty, or a poor connection somewhere.

Or it could just be a monitor/beeper, or it could be a junction box.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
17 Mar 2023 06:21 - 17 Mar 2023 06:27 #248068 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Towing 7pin socket
I bought a new cable kit for my Jimny as it came with no trailer connecations or hitch. First one I got was for the models with the rear lights down in the bumper but mine got those up at the wing corners so had to get another. (This is probably different in different markets )
My kit just got the extra blinker relay. works great. All easy plug and pray hooked up in the rear inner panel and came with everything.

I chose the newer/better 13 pin socket. I help maintain the Red Cross cars for SAR and we changed all the towing sockets from 7 pin to 13 pin and we have so much less hassle now. Lot less work to maintain the 13 pin as the connectors are much better quality. Allways some poor connection on the 7 pin.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2023 06:27 by yakuza.

More
17 Mar 2023 12:32 #248071 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Towing 7pin socket
13pin are better, but they are tested at MOT, and have to work, although if you fit a 13 to 7 pin adaptor for the MOT, the tester won't remove it and 7 pun sockets are not tested for function, only appearance.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
17 Mar 2023 14:40 #248072 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Towing 7pin socket
The first time I came across a 13 pin socket was about 12 years ago, it was on a lease company car, a BMW that I had requested with factory tow bar fitted.

I didn't realise it had a 13 pin socket until I went to pick my boat up (35 mile round trip) to go away for the weekend, a quick call to BMW, yes it uses an adpator, no we don't supply them as default, but you can pick up a free adaptor from the dealership and no we don't have one in stock.

I had to ring several BMW dealerships to see if anyone had one, then drive 40 mile round trip to pick it up, it wasn't new, but one from a staff members car, who wasn't using it for a few weeks.

Needless to say when the car was changed after 3 years I kept the adaptor as the new lease car also didn't come with one. When I stopped having a lease car, I left the adaptor in the boot for the next owner.

My Jimny has the good old fashioned 7 pin fitted.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds