BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Best/ quiet off road tyres for a Jimny suggestions

More
06 Mar 2023 18:17 #247932 by 300bhpton
My bad. I did miss "Sahara".

I have run those on Land Rovers. Surprisingly good off road considering how capable they are on it.

A milder MT is the way IMO. Maybe even something with sipes. But may depend on budget to what is available. The KM3 is a nice tyre, but pricey!

The Nankang FT-9 looks pretty reasonable go anywhere do anything sort of MT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2023 15:58 #247949 by Dirtsurfer
I was considering the BFG MUD-TERRAIN T/A KM3 as my mate has these on his Jimny and despite the tread pattern being much the same as the Insa Sahara Turbo tyres on mine they were very quiet in comparison. I put this down to being new not remoulds and quality. Strangely enough I saw on the BFG data that they were classified as NHS so asked the company and they replied saying
"In relation to your question, we kindly inform that the BFG MUD-TERRAIN T/A KM3 is only dedicated for off-road usage.
The symbol "NHS" means that it is not permitted to used it on roads."

Given the amount of vehicles that use them that would have gone through a UK MOT I am a bit confused by this.

More
07 Mar 2023 17:17 #247951 by DrRobin
This is what the Gov says on tyres

www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manua...ension#section-5-2-3

You should only accept tyres with NHS, Not for Highway Use or similar markings if they have an ‘E’ marking and a number contained within a circle. Adjacent to this circle, the sidewall must also be marked with a six digit number, which may be preceded by 75R or similar marking (see example below).

BFG MTs are stamped with NHS and POR (Professional Off-Road) and as such don't have EU markings.

Therefore if they don't have the E mark on then they should not pass the MOT.

That always assumes the test centre is up on the requirements.

It is rumoured that some people to take their car to an MOT test centre with different wheels/tyres then swap them over, at least that was what a bloke down the pub said.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtsurfer

More
07 Mar 2023 18:14 - 07 Mar 2023 18:20 #247952 by mlines
BF Goodrich km3 MT

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 07 Mar 2023 18:20 by mlines.

More
07 Mar 2023 21:32 - 07 Mar 2023 21:41 #247959 by DrRobin
That’s how they get through the MOT, they have the E mark.

A bit strange as the BFG website for the KM3 says not for road use or on roads open to the public, plus it’s missing the E mark?  That makes it as clear as mud.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Last edit: 07 Mar 2023 21:41 by DrRobin.

More
07 Mar 2023 22:18 #247960 by mlines
Are you looking at the UK BFG website?

On the KM3 page there are actually two tyres described. The KM3 and the KM3 UTV, it says that the UTV is not for road ( it's for ATV such as the Polaris and John Deere vehicles)

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
07 Mar 2023 22:19 #247961 by 300bhpton
Pretty sure the MoT does not check for E marks. That would be construction and use. But then likely only on tyres new enough and there is no restriction on age of car tyres. (No idea when the E mark was introduced).

As for the BFG’s. The US ones won’t be E marked. Suspect they don’t take photos just for the U.K. website either. But I’ve not looked at the .co.Uk Site.

That said. In the U.K. there is zero market for off road only use tyre. They simply wouldn’t waste time importing them if they weren’t for road use.

More
07 Mar 2023 22:28 #247962 by 300bhpton
Just had a look. It clearly says 20% on road, 80% off road at the top of the page.

I think the bit about NHS is for the UTV variants and sizes. Not the entire range. It even has a picture of a UTV. And under the 14” sizes it also says NHS. But doesn’t for the car sizes.

More
08 Mar 2023 08:03 #247970 by Busta
It's very clear which ones are NHS. It's certainly not all KM3s.

Attachments:

More
08 Mar 2023 09:49 #247971 by DrRobin
Thanks for the clarification Busta, I can now see what I did.

I did a search for BFG KM3 and the link took me to the UK site, but it was a specific tyre size and I thought it was a generic page for KM3. It just so happens that the size I went to was a NHS and doesn't appear to have the E mark.

Provided the tyre is stamped with an E mark even if it says NHS and/or POR it should still pass the MOT. If there is no E mark it might not pass.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
08 Mar 2023 17:38 #247979 by jackonlyjack
kumho KL71's are reasonably quite
I have yokohama G005 X-MT these are very quite around 76db 

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds